Understanding and trying to make a sulfur denitrator work

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full story is below. The short story is I’ve become obsessed with trying to get a sulfur denitrator to work. I’ve started injecting vinegar into the reactor. I’m posting this because I would like to hear from others what they think the chemistry/ biochemistry is occurring here and the things I could try.

The tank is a 90gallon with a 15-gallon sump. Three fish, two clowns, and a tang. A handful of softie corals. Nitrates are always around 20 or higher. My corals hate water changes even though I match the salinity, alkalinity, calcium, pH, and temperature perfectly. This is the reason I’m trying to use a denitrator.

The chemical reaction for thiobacillus can be found here

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topic...-molecular-biology/thiobacillus-denitrificans

Here's an article discussing how Thiobacillus Denitrificans uses CO2 as its carbon source.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/161...cies of,carbon source under anoxic conditions.

There are hundreds of articles on this. These bacteria can get carbon in different pathways. They can oxidize many different sulfur compounds as well as various metals including iron. I’ve found articles claiming that thiobacillus is dependent on another bacterium. I don’t think anyone fully understands how these denitrators work.

The Fully Story

I converted a Korallin C1502 calcium reactor into a sulfur denitrator a little over a year ago. I filled the reactor with korallin sulfur and limestone. I started off with a drop every two seconds and had no success after months. I went down to a drop every 4 seconds and began to see nitrites in the effluent.

This never changed though. This went on for months. I eventually took out some limestone and added some Fluval bio-media to try to make more surface area for bacteria. This had no effect on the reactor.

The only way 0 nitrate/nitrite water would come out of the reactor is if it were as slow as a drop every 10-20 seconds. The next thing I attempted was to peal the korallin sticker and glue off and submerge the reactor. The water level in the sump covered about ¾ of the reactor. I don’t believe these are meant to be submerged but the bolts were not in the water so it did not concern me. I submerged it to try to bring the temperature up for the biological processes. This had no effect.

In the course of this whole time, I looked at dozens of scientific papers regarding thiobacillus denitirificans as there has been extensive research for water treatment plants. I also looked for other people who could never get their reactors working. There must be some reason why they work for some and not at all for others. In my case, it was obvious that the bacteria existed in the reactor but were either not growing to a large enough population to treat the water. Something was limiting their growth.

I eventually stumbled on to a scientific paper discussing the carbon sources used by Thiobacillus and their primary is through the reduction of carbon dioxide. Maybe it’s possible that some tanks do not have a high enough CO2 concentration to support these reactors. I have a protein skimmer rated for 210g on a 90-gallon tank. I then attempted injecting 0.8ml of vodka into the feed pump. A few hours later the effluent was nitrate/nitrite-free.

Going this route, I changed out some plumbing parts to be able to inject straight into the reactor. Unfortunately, air entered the reactor and I had to start over again. After a few days of dosing vodka I got no results this time.

With the drip rate at one per 5 seconds, the effluent was saturated with nitrites. I read another report claiming that acetate can un-suppress the gene required for sulfur oxidation. I then attempted 5% vinegar always diluted with 10ml of clean saltwater. Five hours after the injection I got nitrate/nitrite-free water. This roughly coincides with the 4.4 hours replication rate I found for thiobacillus denitrificans(if under optimal conditions which no reef tank is). At this point, I put the drip rate to one drop per 4 seconds and waited 24 hours. The nitrites were present again so I repeated the injection of 0.5ml of vinegar diluted in saltwater. Five to six hours later the effluent was clean so I went down to two seconds. I repeated the injection but went to 0.6ml of vinegar.

The effluent became clear but a few hours later it was full of nitrites. I injected a 1-10ml vinegar-saltwater ratio into the reactor. An hour later the effluent was clear. Full of nitrites again the next morning. I think there could be a few things occurring here. Either the vinegar is going towards the production of new bacteria, to the production of thiobacillus, or this carbon source is entirely necessary for denitrification. If it were solely the replication of thiobacillus then when the vinegar dosing is stopped, the reactor should continue to work. While doing this, dozens of bubbles popped up in the reactor which I assume are nitrogen gas. To this point, the Fluval, sulfur, and limestone media look brand new still. The entire internals of the reactor looks spotless.

There is also no way for me to know what bacteria is actually in the reactor. There are dozens of denitrifying bacteria that exist.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:
You are mixing methods by injecting carbon into your sulfur reactor. This is possibly populating your reactor with the wrong bactertia. I have never seen anyone do this particular method before (carbon + sulfur) and am not sure how the two would work together.
Adding the Fluval media for surface area is not necessary and may become problematic if it devolves due to the lower pH in the reactor; possibly adding aluminum along with other undesirable elements into your system. The calcium media is not added for surface area, it is to help buffer the pH back up. The bacteria will populate on the sulfur media. If you want more surface for bacterial growth then add more sulfur media.
I started off with a drop every two seconds and had no success after months. I went down to a drop every 4 seconds and began to see nitrites in the effluent.
This is confusing. At 1 drop every 2 seconds you had no success but when you slowed the flow to 1 drop every 4 seconds you began to see nitrites?

I would pull all of the media, rinse it all very well in a bucket and start fresh with the limestone and not the Fluval stuff. Don't add any carbon source to the reactor. Set it up with a full stream flow and let it run for 24 hours then cut it back to 2-3 drops per second and leave it for a week. Measure your effluent and I'll bet it is at 0 nitrate.

Here is mine. I have been using this same reactor for almost a decade.
Screenshot_20220605-180630_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:
You are mixing methods by injecting carbon into your sulfur reactor. This is possibly populating your reactor with the wrong bactertia. I have never seen anyone do this particular method before (carbon + sulfur) and am not sure how the two would work together.
Adding the Fluval media for surface area is not necessary and may become problematic if it devolves due to the lower pH in the reactor; possibly adding aluminum along with other undesirable elements into your system. The calcium media is not added for surface area, it is to help buffer the pH back up. The bacteria will populate on the sulfur media. If you want more surface for bacterial growth then add more sulfur media.

This is confusing. At 1 drop every 2 seconds you had no success but when you slowed the flow to 1 drop every 4 seconds you began to see nitrites?

I would pull all of the media, rinse it all very well in a bucket and start fresh with the limestone and not the Fluval stuff. Don't add any carbon source to the reactor. Set it up with a full stream flow and let it run for 24 hours then cut it back to 2-3 drops per second and leave it for a week. Measure your effluent and I'll bet it is at 0 nitrate.

Here is mine. I have been using this same reactor for almost a decade.
Screenshot_20220605-180630_Gallery.jpg
I'll give it a try and see if that does it.

OP
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your pH very high, there is no lack of CO2 in a given reef tank.
Tank pH is 8.2-8.3 consistently. I'm going to attempt to start it over again and see if anything changes. What I'm struggling to understand is that it would work but only at a very slow flow rate. So the bacteria exist but not in a high enough concentration to function properly.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm struggling to understand is that it would work but only at a very slow flow rate. So the bacteria exist but not in a high enough concentration to function properly.
slow flow rate doesn't exactly imply low bacteria numbers here. It could be that higher flow rate provides too much O2 in the water for the anaerobic process that you want to actually happen.

edit:
nevermind. hadn't had my coffee first. the bacteria ought to be able to deplete O2 and then work on the NO3. Sulfur is in excess, so pointing to low bacteria counts makes sense here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your results?
I stopped carbon dosing the reactor 9 days ago. I've been busy and haven't had the time to empty it, wash the media, and restart it. It's still making NO3/NO2 clear effluent at about 6x the rate it was prior to when I carbon dosed. But I don't know if the risk is worth it without really knowing what's going on with the bacteria inside the chamber when carbon dosing. In the next few days, I'll be taking it apart and washing it out.

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have recently started using a sulphur denitrator. I started it 4/24/22. I have been having a horrible time getting it to populate. It started a couple of days after I started it with the effluent full of nitrites. I didn’t do anything to it until it started showing no nitrites/nitrates. I also have a orp probe in the reactor that I reversed the polarity so I could use it with my apex. I had it at one drop about every 10 seconds at first to get it to this point. I would wait until the orp got down to -175 and then I would turn it up very slowly and I would always get up to about a drop a sec and then the orp would raise to -50 and and I couldn’t get it to go any further. Well fast forward to just this week and I have been burping all the gas out of it every day and then turn it up a little. Two days later I did the same thing. Now I’m almost at a steady drip and still showing zero nitrates. Give it time and it will take hold. When people say you have to go slow they really mean you have to go slow

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have recently started using a sulphur denitrator. I started it 4/24/22. I have been having a horrible time getting it to populate. It started a couple of days after I started it with the effluent full of nitrites. I didn’t do anything to it until it started showing no nitrites/nitrates. I also have a orp probe in the reactor that I reversed the polarity so I could use it with my apex. I had it at one drop about every 10 seconds at first to get it to this point. I would wait until the orp got down to -175 and then I would turn it up very slowly and I would always get up to about a drop a sec and then the orp would raise to -50 and and I couldn’t get it to go any further. Well fast forward to just this week and I have been burping all the gas out of it every day and then turn it up a little. Two days later I did the same thing. Now I’m almost at a steady drip and still showing zero nitrates. Give it time and it will take hold. When people say you have to go slow they really mean you have to go slow
Pm me 1 drop ever 10 seconds is danger slow. We can get you inline.

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pm me 1 drop ever 10 seconds is danger slow. We can get you inline.
I have it straightened out now. It was only that slow when I first stated it. I’m up to a steady drip. About 3-4 drops per second. Thank you anyways and if I have anymore problems with it I’ll be sure to ask for help

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve only been using a sulfur denitrator for 3 months or so but can guarantee it works. The drip rate with drops is almost impossible to measure correctly and will fluctuate. If you can afford it I’d strongly recommend a peristaltic pump doser. I bought one after a month or so.

I have a aquamaxx t-1 calcium reactor as I couldn’t find a ts-1 for sale. I did purchase a used korallin calcium reactor and ended up throwing it away. I prefer the aquamaxx design much more, and they do have an online instructions manual.

If I remember correctly, let water flow through the reactor for a day or 2 full speed, then lower to 1 to 2 drops per second, I would recommend 1 drop. Test for nitrite after 2 weeks because you can’t test for nitrate correctly until you have 0 nitrites coming out. I tested every 4 days or so but trust me it’ll be at least a few weeks before nitrites are 0.

Once you have 0 nitrites then you can start testing for nitrates. Again maybe every 4 days or so. You are still at a drop or 2 max per second. I still recommend leaving it at 1 drop.

Then when your nitrates are 0 increase flow to 1.5 to 2 drops every second. Testing again in 4 days. Then again 4 days later. You should see a pattern of nitrates lowering. They will lower very slowly and I would recommend using a Hanna ultra low nitrate tester to be able to accurately measure at 0 to 5ppm.

I’m maxed at about 13 ml a minute, which is 2 to 3 drops a second. That’s about the maximum I believe people are getting with maybe 1ppm of nitrate output. I have 2lbs of sulfur prills in mine and I only have 60gal net with sump. I am going to try adding another pound or 2 of sulfur to see if I can increase my flow another couple ml per minute. The steps I gave you is from aquamaxx. It works. It just takes a very long time. I think it took 3 to 4 weeks before nitrites were 0 for me, then another 2 weeks or more before nitrates starting coming down in tank.

constant flow is key and unfortunately a constant dosing pump in my opinion is required for a sulfur denitrator.

If your reactor gets cloudy, test the nitrates. Guarantee you it’s 0. Increase flow slightly.

You don’t dose the reactor with carbon. You don’t need it.

Hope you can get it to work and looking forward to an update. These reactors are a little finicky in the beginning.

Last edited:

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to share my success story (so far) with my sulfur 'reactor' setup in case it helps anyone out there. I'll likely make a separate post about it as well.

I was out of the hobby for about 5 years until this year. Took down my 5 year old reef and sold everything when we moved and had ambitions of buying a new tank at the new place and starting over. Well my house flooded during Hurricane Harvey 1 month after we moved in. The house remodel took priority so here I am. I'm actually kinda glad I waited because it seems like the hobby has really come a long was in those 5 years as far as advancements (and live rock prices.. Good grief).

That being said during my research to get back in the hobby I was reading about new (to reefers) ways to keep nitrates down. I was happy to try the new things such as zeolite, fleece rollers, and sulfur denitrification really caught my eye because the field I work in deals with a lot of chemistry surrounding sulfur.

I set up ma Red Sea 350 G2 (90-gallon total volume) about 6 months ago with live rock and completed the normal cycle and then slowly bio loaded the tank with fish and corals. I started with a skimmer, fleece roller, and zeolite to see how that did for my nitrates. My numbers would get up to around 20 ppm before water changes and I really wanted to get closer to 2 so I started researching more about the sulfur reactors you could purchase. Luckily, I could find one to buy because the prices I saw were ridiculous. Also, the more I looked at the design I thought they were over engineered with the recirc pumps on them.

I decided to build one out of a standard carbon or GFO reactor changer and use a slow total flow through the chamber to promote near zero O2 concentration.

Fast forward to today:
-I've completely removed my skimmer from the sump and now use that area to grow frags
-I have a full stream of effluent flow from the sulfur denitrifier with 0.0 PPM as tested on Hannah low range meter
-Currently maintaining 2.0 ppm in main tank (1.7 this morning)
-I adjust the flow of effluent to maintain at least 2.0

Yes, I've turned the reactor off for a few days to prove that it was the item that was removing the nitrates and not my zeolite filter. I know zeolite is supposed to target more of the ammonia, but I wanted to test anyway. Sure enough my nitrates went to 10.8 in 3 days. Turned the reactor back on and in a few days, it was back to the 2.0 range.

OK so here are the 4 things I bought for the project below. Bulk reef supply for 3 items and eBay for the other:
reactor.jpg
pump.jpg

adapter.jpg
sulfur 2.jpg

-I used the 1/4 adapters and the slid in perfectly to the inlet and outlets of the reactor and I sealed the connection with epoxy.
-I used 1 liter of sulfur in the reactor.
-I started the pump and let it run wide open for 3 days
-After the 3 days i tested the effluent and tank water and they matched at 15 ppm
-I turned it down to 1 drip per second and tested in 3 days. 6 ppm reactor 13ppm tank
-I was happy with this and let it ride for like a week and tested again and it was at 3 and 8
- Week or so later it was at 0-5
-Bumped up flow rate out of reactor and turned off skimmer.
- Few days later I test and I'm at 0-0. I was happy as hell because I thought this was impossible and then started reading about a zero-nutrient tank (never knew there was such a thing from previous experience) is not good for corals.

Anyways... back to today. Mine has been running for about 3 months, no skimmer, actually dosed nitrates for a bit to get to 2.0ppm and have fine-tuned everything with sulfur reactor flow rate to hold around 2.0. I hope this helps somone and I really hope it works well for anyone that might try it.

Here is a vid of my flow from about 30 minutes ago:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to share my success story (so far) with my sulfur 'reactor' setup in case it helps anyone out there. I'll likely make a separate post about it as well.

I was out of the hobby for about 5 years until this year. Took down my 5 year old reef and sold everything when we moved and had ambitions of buying a new tank at the new place and starting over. Well my house flooded during Hurricane Harvey 1 month after we moved in. The house remodel took priority so here I am. I'm actually kinda glad I waited because it seems like the hobby has really come a long was in those 5 years as far as advancements (and live rock prices.. Good grief).

That being said during my research to get back in the hobby I was reading about new (to reefers) ways to keep nitrates down. I was happy to try the new things such as zeolite, fleece rollers, and sulfur denitrification really caught my eye because the field I work in deals with a lot of chemistry surrounding sulfur.

I set up ma Red Sea 350 G2 (90-gallon total volume) about 6 months ago with live rock and completed the normal cycle and then slowly bio loaded the tank with fish and corals. I started with a skimmer, fleece roller, and zeolite to see how that did for my nitrates. My numbers would get up to around 20 ppm before water changes and I really wanted to get closer to 2 so I started researching more about the sulfur reactors you could purchase. Luckily, I could find one to buy because the prices I saw were ridiculous. Also, the more I looked at the design I thought they were over engineered with the recirc pumps on them.

I decided to build one out of a standard carbon or GFO reactor changer and use a slow total flow through the chamber to promote near zero O2 concentration.

Fast forward to today:
-I've completely removed my skimmer from the sump and now use that area to grow frags
-I have a full stream of effluent flow from the sulfur denitrifier with 0.0 PPM as tested on Hannah low range meter

Yes, I've turned the reactor off for a few days to prove that it was the item that was removing the nitrates and not my zeolite filter. I know zeolite is supposed to target more of the ammonia, but I wanted to test anyway. Sure enough my nitrates went to 10.8 in 3 days. Turned the reactor back on and in a few days, it was back to the 2.0 range.

OK so here are the 4 things I bought for the project below. Bulk reef supply for 3 items and eBay for the other:
reactor.jpg
pump.jpg

adapter.jpg
sulfur 2.jpg

-I used the 1/4 adapters and the slid in perfectly to the inlet and outlets of the reactor and I sealed the connection with epoxy.
-After the 3 days i tested the effluent and tank water and they matched at 15 ppm
-I turned it down to 1 drip per second and tested in 3 days. 6 ppm reactor 13ppm tank
-I was happy with this and let it ride for like a week and tested again and it was at 3 and 8
- Few days later I test and I'm at 0-0. I was happy as hell because I thought this was impossible and then started reading about a zero-nutrient tank (never knew there was such a thing from previous experience) is not good for corals.

Anyways... back to today. Mine has been running for about 3 months, no skimmer, actually dosed nitrates for a bit to get to 2.0ppm and have fine-tuned everything with sulfur reactor flow rate to hold around 2.0. I hope this helps somone and I really hope it works well for anyone that might try it.

Glad you have this working well for you and thanks for the detailed write up. My only question is why remove your simmer? Why not just dial it back and preserve the additional benefits?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fast forward to today:

reactor.jpg
pump.jpg

adapter.jpg
sulfur 2.jpg

How is phosphate handled/responding?

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you have this working well for you and thanks for the detailed write up. My only question is why remove your simmer? Why not just dial it back and preserve the additional benefits?
I did dial it back in the beginning and ended up just turning it off. It's the Redsea reefer 300 and to be honest, I wasn't happy with it's noise and controllability from the start. I left it off for a few weeks and with the light in my sump it started growing all sorts of things inside of it so I just removed it with thoughts of actually getting something much smaller soon to help with the CO2 removal. I'm open to suggestions but I would like something relatively small.

As said before I'm new to the new age of reefing but please correct me of I'm wrong on the following:

Benefits of a skimmer:
-Removes waste from leftover food- Turns into nitrate and phosphate
-Removes waste from poop- Turns into nitrate and phosphate
-Promotes water clarity- not sure the mechanism but it's what I've witnessed.
-Helps release Co2 and control PH

Let me know if I'm missing any

I've been running this Reefmat 500 on this tank since the start-up and it seems to be doing the job of removing waste from the tank. It really is amazing how well it works.

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is phosphate handled/responding?
Good question and I should of mentioned this in my post. At the point I turned my skimmer all of the way off my Phos was .03 and Nit was 0.0. I was so fixated on the Nitrates I didn't consider phosphates when I killed the skimmer. A few days later my phosphate test was 1.00 with nitrates being 1.0. I also noticed a yellow tint in the water. Luckily I had already bought but not installed a GFO and Carbon reactor. I set it up and within 2 days the phosphates were back down to 0.05. Then within a week to 0.02

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question and I should of mentioned this in my post. At the point I turned my skimmer all of the way off my Phos was .03 and Nit was 0.0. I was so fixated on the Nitrates I didn't consider phosphates when I killed the skimmer. A few days later my phosphate test was 1.00 with nitrates being 1.0. I also noticed a yellow tint in the water. Luckily I had already bought but not installed a GFO and Carbon reactor. I set it up and within 2 days the phosphates were back down to 0.05. Then within a week to 0.02
Phosphate rose to 1ppm? I had a yellow tint when I used a sulphur reactor too clearly identifyable as sulfur in the water.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back