Unique Fish For 36 Gallon

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 36 gallon reef tank. I previously had this as a peaceful reef community.

I would like to reset this tank up for a species only tank/centrepiece one fish only tank.

What are your suggestions?

I’m thinking maybe a larger clown pair like a tomato, I liked the idea of a puffer but am not keen on supplying their diet. I’ve heard of the dwarf lion fish but do not know much about them.

All suggestions welcome, looking for something different this time around :)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 36 gallon reef tank. I previously had this as a peaceful reef community.

I would like to reset this tank up for a species only tank/centrepiece one fish only tank.

What are your suggestions?

I’m thinking maybe a larger clown pair like a tomato, I liked the idea of a puffer but am not keen on supplying their diet. I’ve heard of the dwarf lion fish but do not know much about them.

All suggestions welcome, looking for something different this time around :)
Gold bar maroon clownfish. A breeding pair.

Also check out the gold nuggets if you want a designer version.

Something you don't see everyday.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer goby, green wolf eel, a couple garden eels. Catalina gobies, ribbon goby, flashing tilefish.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of maroon clowns would be fun. You'd want to look out when placing corals though. They're bullies to free swimming fish, but you could get away with keeping a few gobies/blennies with them.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a species only tank there is no doubt what my fish would be. It would be an angler. They eat live food so you'd have to be ok feeding him ghost shrimp, mollies, and other feeders. A 36 gallon would be perfect. And you can add corals as long as you dont mind him taking a nap on your new addition. Lol But man that to me is a bad bad fish. Orange, yellow, red, wartskin or striated...which one would I choose?

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of maroon clowns would be fun. You'd want to look out when placing corals though. They're bullies to free swimming fish, but you could get away with keeping a few gobies/blennies with them.
Would maroons be okay in a 36? I was reading up on them today and read my tank is too small

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a species only tank there is no doubt what my fish would be. It would be an angler. They eat live food so you'd have to be ok feeding him ghost shrimp, mollies, and other feeders. A 36 gallon would be perfect. And you can add corals as long as you dont mind him taking a nap on your new addition. Lol But man that to me is a bad bad fish. Orange, yellow, red, wartskin or striated...which one would I choose?
i’m not too huge on their look…

What do you think of the dwarf lion fish? i’m reading either a 30g or a 55g so i’m not too sure if I can keep one. I think it’s either one of those or a pair of maroon/tomato clown so far

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What do you think of the dwarf lion fish? i’m reading either a 30g or a 55g so i’m not too sure if I can keep one. I think it’s either one of those or a pair of maroon/tomato clown so far
I would advise against tomato clowns. They actually have a serrated jaw and I had a rogue female that would draw blood when I reached in the tank for anything.
Skunk clowns are a similar body shape but much more mellow if you want to go that route

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I once had 2 dwarf lions in a 55g. You can definitely house 1 as they have similar requirements to an angler. Lions need swimming room however so make sure your aquascape allows the lion some room to swim and well as perches to rest.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back