Upflow Algae Scrubber in filter chamber - do I need an airstone?

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I want to put a DIY Upflow Algae Scrubber in the central area of my AIO tank.

multistage1.png

Do I need to use an airstone there? Do people use an airstone for UAS more for flow or for oxygen?

Thanks

robert a millen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae attachment surface will have a turbulance barrier near the materials surface as water flows by. I forget the technical term but the gist of it is that the water nearest the surface of the attachment surface will be harder for the current to penetrate. My understanding is that bubbles can help to disrupt that barrier and allow more nutrients to the surface of the algae.

I think you should try it without the bubbles and see. If you have to add the air stone after a few weeks to get growth, there would be no downside or harm in trying.

OP
OP
BurgerFish

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the fluval evo?
Yea.

The algae attachment surface will have a turbulance barrier near the materials surface as water flows by. I forget the technical term but the gist of it is that the water nearest the surface of the attachment surface will be harder for the current to penetrate. My understanding is that bubbles can help to disrupt that barrier and allow more nutrients to the surface of the algae.

I think you should try it without the bubbles and see. If you have to add the air stone after a few weeks to get growth, there would be no downside or harm in trying.
Thanks

Do I need to use airstone or just make holes in the tubing?

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How did this work out?

I'm planning on taking off the black sticker of one of the chambers on my IM Nuvo 25 lagoon AIO and toss a roughed up plastic screen in the chamber. Will put a magnetic LED on the dry side of the chamber.

Thanks

OP
OP
BurgerFish

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out?

I'm planning on taking off the black sticker of one of the chambers on my IM Nuvo 25 lagoon AIO and toss a roughed up plastic screen in the chamber. Will put a magnetic LED on the dry side of the chamber.

Thanks
It will work fine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back