Upgrade time! What do i need for a 55?

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, ive got a low stock, sump-less, coral-less 20. its got a standard hob, and its been runnig for about two years. Im planning on upgrading to a 55 with a skimmer and corals, and maybe a sump. What do i need to know? Ive got the fish preplanned, but you all know how that goes. Either way, what do i need to get? I know the basic fish-related stuff eg filter, heater, skimmer, food, but i have no clue what i need for corals, or if anything changes when i go bigger.
here are the fish im considering:
1x diamond goby (if i can get one that eats well)
1x lawnmower blenny
1x black clown goby
1x yellow clown goby
2x banggai cardinalfish
1x midas blenny
1x McCosker’s flasher wrasse
1x blue neon goby
1x starckii damselfish
1x ruby dragonet (if i can find one who eats frozen, probably after most or all the above is added)
and then some misc easy corals.
so what should i do? (i do plan to post on the question of the day, once i get some feedback)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about a standard 55, I'd recommend considering going for 20 gallons more and getting a 75....for two reasons.

1. It's only 12 inches wide making rock work difficult.
2. All the 55's I've seen have tempered glass and therefore are not drillable.

A standard 75 is the same length as a 55, but now 18 inches wide making rockwork easier and better looking.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about a standard 55, I'd recommend considering going for 20 gallons more and getting a 75....for two reasons.

1. It's only 12 inches wide making rock work difficult.
2. All the 55's I've seen have tempered glass and therefore are not drillable.

A standard 75 is the same length as a 55, but now 18 inches wide making rockwork easier and better looking.
I would LOVE to get a 75, but I'm already on thus ice with the 55 in terms of what I'm allowed to do.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll miss those extra 6 inches for sure, the price difference between the two isn't bad either. More water stability, and more room for rock!

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the tank may be a thunderdome with all the gobies/blennies, they don't always play well together
I would think four feet is enough for four, given two was enough for two (tail-spot and watchman) though i cant be sure.
You'll miss those extra 6 inches for sure, the price difference between the two isn't bad either. More water stability, and more room for rock!
I know! But i cant get a 75.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that would be better? It seems like less room. Also this is fish focused, so rockwork isn't too huge of an issue.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Cubs has the right idea. Picture the difference between your 20 long and a standard 20. The 20 long may not be as tall, but has a much better footprint and room. A 40 breeder would also be easier to light because it isn't as tall

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Cubs has the right idea. Picture the difference between your 20 long and a standard 20. The 20 long may not be as tall, but has a much better footprint and room. A 40 breeder would also be easier to light because it isn't as tall

isnt a 55 more footprint?

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t get a 75, get a 40 breeder.
I agree with the 40 breeder. I had a 40 long as my first tank (same footprint as the 55, just shorter) and it left a lot to be desired. With my rock and coral in there - I had a really difficult time accessing the sandbed from how narrow the tank was. There were also spots in the tank that the size of the rock didn't allow me to use a magnet cleaner on the glass.

Back