Upgrading from 5-12g

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so a while back I posted about my 5g I started and what not. It’s doing somewhat good but it’s been hard to balance levels so I decided to do a little research and sizing and found that reefcasa flat 12 fits. Just got it put together with the new scape. Read through some other forum posts and other places and getting mixed thoughts about cycling the tank for the full 3-4weeks or adding established media and a rock and cutting the cycle in half. Any tips?

Currently have 1 rock moved over but no media yet since I still have my 5g running for the mean time.
Haven’t done any parameter readings yet trying to get salinity to 1.024 since I’m at 1.014 at time of post

And yes no light as I want to transfer the prime16 light from my old tank to this new one just haven’t put the reefcasa halo on the old tank yet
Thanks,
That one Alaskan

IMG_0392.jpeg IMG_0393.jpeg

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some used filter media that you can put in the tank you won’t even need to cycle it.

Every time i put up my quarantine tank i just put some of my used filter media in the tank and it gets cycled instantly.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock is in your 5 gallon? Why not just do a straight swap over - no need to cycle if you are upgrading?

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some used filter media that you can put in the tank you won’t even need to cycle it.

Every time i put up my quarantine tank i just put some of my used filter media in the tank and it gets cycled instantly.
Might be able to move some media over. Thanks

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock is in your 5 gallon? Why not just do a straight swap over - no need to cycle if you are upgrading?
Currently just hermits coral and a couple nassarius snails. My acan isn’t doing too great atm so would prefer not to shock it until it gets better otherwise once I get the right parameters I’ll be moving stuff other

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said screw it and moved everything over besides from some rock and old equipment. Will keep an eye on my acan but I like the tank layout. Will def wait to add some fish until I make sure I’m ready

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back