Upgrading to a 180G - Tips or thoughts?

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from a 100g that I ran for almost 6 years. I have decided it was time to get something bigger and set it up for the long run. I plan on taking things extremely slow and starting 100% fresh no corals will be transferred over. I learned a lot over the last 6 years about what I wish I did differently. Goal is to basically cycle and run fish only for 4 to 6 months. Since I am ordering the tank new its obviously not the cheapest route The long cycle will give me time to plan and save for choice corals. I have the core equipment for the build but I will transfer over some old equipment that will need to be upgraded later. I have a 180G tank, steel stand with a Trigger Triton 44 sump coming in. I plan on doing all my hard pluming to include a manifold for growth down the road. Tank will have an external overflow with 3 - 1.5" drains two 3/4" return lines. My current skimmer will be transferred over since I will have a light bio load to begin with. Apex, dual MP40s and Radion G3 lights will also be transferred over. I am considering DOS pumps for auto water change but am not sold on it yet. I have RODI lines run into my house that I have on a solenoid to fill my ATO reservoir. I have it setup on a feed button on my apex that I manually can turn on for long enough to fill the reservoir. Apex alerts me when water gets low. I dont trust fully automating it yet.

Whats everyone's opinions on return pumps? On paper the DC pumps look really cool but beyond the power saving and ability to dial in flow through a controller and not a ball valve I;m not sure its worth it. I have a cor-15 I got cheap for my 65G and its cool but I dont use any of the features. Recommendations for 180G setup?

Thoughts on Neptune Fluid Monitoring Kit? Seems like cool info but not really worth the $$$. Anyone feel strongly for it? Why?

Is there any gear that you wish you would have got upfront and didn't? I obviously can always upgrade equipment and have been pretty low tech on my old tanks successfully. I would like to set this one up so my life is easier on the maintenance side.

The Trigger sump has 3 - 1" drian holes. My overflow is 1.5" Is it worth drilling out the plate to 1.5" or should i just convert to 1" at the sump? I guess the right answer will depend on my expected flow through the sump.

I plan on dosing 2 part but as the tank fills in and demand is high, I will move to a calcium reactor.

Any other tips or thoughts would be great. Its been a long time since I started a new tank and I haven't had one this size before.

backdraft_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are off to a great start! I am about 6 months into my 180 gallon mixed reef after upgrading from an 80 gallon I had for 3 years. I would look into what is going into your sump and how tall your stand is. Mine is 40" and I have far more access and room to work with the taller stand. Additionally, if you have not covered your stand yet, I would look at magnetic panels as opposed to doors. Panels make access in and around the sump area so much easier. I also am in the process of ordering a custom lid. Right now I have 3 temporary acrylic sheet from Lowe's that act as my lid and help keep evaporation down. I noticed the humidity in my house dropped around 8-10% after placing them on top of the tank. Best of luck and keep up updated!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that sounds like you're starting right.

I strongly considered DC returns. Ended up going with Fluval SP6. Cheap enough to buy a spare, only 135w, and PLENTY of flow. The only time mine has stopped running the last 1.5 years was a power outage and once when the flexible tube popped off the hose barb. That was fun. Still, has been incredibly reliable for me and my 220.

Like you, I look at the FMM frequently. Also like you, I always come to the conclusion that it would be of little value to me. I'll prob get it some day, but not any time soon.

Gear I wish I had bought? Maybe 2 MP60's. Don't get me wrong, I have 2 Stream 3's(with a 5 year warranty eco tech!) and a Gyre XF-250 that do a bang up job, but the MP's are great. I just can't spend that much on a pump with such a short warranty. FWIW, I don't think 2 MP40's will be enough.

I'd reduce closer to the sump. I'm not a huge fan of crazy monster flow through the sump anyway.

Ditto on dosing to calrx.

Tips? I love my remote 75gal fuge. Love, love, love it. I do water changes from it, dose to it, it gives me significantly more water volume, and I get to control the amount of flow through it. If you can figure out a way to do it, I highly recommend it. My primary regret was not putting it up high in my garage and having it gravity feed back to the DT. It drains into the return compartment.

Good luck!

samson78945

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I strongly considered DC returns. Ended up going with Fluval SP6. Cheap enough to buy a spare, only 135w, and PLENTY of flow. The only time mine has stopped running the last 1.5 years was a power outage and once when the flexible tube popped off the hose barb. That was fun. Still, has been incredibly reliable for me and my 220.

Like you, I look at the FMM frequently. Also like you, I always come to the conclusion that it would be of little value to me. I'll prob get it some day, but not any time soon.

Gear I wish I had bought? Maybe 2 MP60's. Don't get me wrong, I have 2 Stream 3's(with a 5 year warranty eco tech!) and a Gyre XF-250 that do a bang up job, but the MP's are great. I just can't spend that much on a pump with such a short warranty. FWIW, I don't think 2 MP40's will be enough.

I'd reduce closer to the sump. I'm not a huge fan of crazy monster flow through the sump anyway.

Tips? I love my remote 75gal fuge. Love, love, love it. I do water changes from it, dose to it, it gives me significantly more water volume, and I get to control the amount of flow through it. If you can figure out a way to do it, I highly recommend it. My primary regret was not putting it up high in my garage and having it gravity feed back to the DT. It drains into the return compartment.

Good luck!
Sorry to hijack the thread, can you send a pic of your fuge set up? Curious to see it.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are off to a great start! I am about 6 months into my 180 gallon mixed reef after upgrading from an 80 gallon I had for 3 years. I would look into what is going into your sump and how tall your stand is. Mine is 40" and I have far more access and room to work with the taller stand. Additionally, if you have not covered your stand yet, I would look at magnetic panels as opposed to doors. Panels make access in and around the sump area so much easier. I also am in the process of ordering a custom lid. Right now I have 3 temporary acrylic sheet from Lowe's that act as my lid and help keep evaporation down. I noticed the humidity in my house dropped around 8-10% after placing them on top of the tank. Best of luck and keep up updated!

I am going with magnetic panels. My stand will be 36" tall which is the same as my last tank and that had enough clearance. I'm not sure about a lid. Possibly a screen cover but hadn't considered an actual lid. I'll have to see how things go before going that route.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the fluval pump. Hadn't been on my radar before. As For the flow I'm pretty sure two mp40s won't be enough. I plan to expand but really need to get my tank setup and see how much more I need. I'm considering a gyre or possibly some smaller pumps going don't to back. Planning on going light on the rock work so hopefully flow will be a bit better. As for an large external sump I'd love to but my tank is up against a external wall and unless I built something outside to house it I don't think I could ever heat it.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much power will you have running to your system? Dedicated breakers?

As of now I don't know what my power will be. At this point I don't plan on running a whole lot more that my 100g tank did. Might add a few extra pumps and possibly some T5s in addition to my 3 radions. I think I'll be good on power it sits between 2 different circuits. The circuit it's on is only shared with a TV that draws about 60w. If I go over I can load balance on the other circuit.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back