Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a laser from months (maybe even longer now that I think about it) to control Blue Clove Polyps. A few local reefers here got infected from some frags we all shared.

I have zapped more BCP than I care to count and I have never had a single one come back in and of itself. The problem is they are so prolific (and small) that you don't see the new ones until they are already spreading around the tank.

The danger of using a laser of this power inside your home can NOT be stressed enough. Not only does the user need the correct eye protection (they must be the exact goggles for the EXACT wavelength of laser you're using or they are useles) but you have to account for anyone in the room, connecting rooms or even potential people walking up to your home if there is direct or reflective line of sight to the tank. The reflected beam when working at an angle to the glass packs a LOT of punch so much so that I literally burned a hole in my t-shirt and caused a small pin hole size burn on my chest as I was zapping the BCP. Only a small percentage of the light was being reflected but it only took a small percentage of a second for me to realize what was happening. My wife goes into the bedroom and shuts the door when I start "zapping".

As far as in-tank livestock damage I have seen absolutely no negative impact on fish or the clean up crew. For some reason they don't seem to be attracted to the light and stay out of harms way. This is good because the BCP tend to pop up just about anywhere in the tank and I have probably zapped every square inch of the tank 30x over LOL!

I don't suggest trying a lower wattage unit because you need to get it "zapped" as quickly as possible other wise you're wasting your time. Because of the short "duty cycle" of most of the lasers you need to work quickly and efficiently to get the job done. You'll learn more with each use of the laser.

turok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try peppermint shrimp first, it got rid of mine. then you can sell them. if it doesn't work, buy from another source. or do you just want to play with lasers?

I am in Western Mass. newbie when it comes to lasers. I am looking to get a laser to control the Aptasia in my 120 reef tank. I have tried searching the net etc I cannot find anywhere that sells the whole laser for under $500. Can someone help me? What would you suggest, as far as color and strength of the beam. It's only Aptasia I have tried the Aptasia X and although it works I hate putting my hands into my tank and everytime I look again there's another one I missed. Any help is appreciated

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to see more videos myself.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry all, due to increased business demands, my forum time has been severely limited. A quick update laser update...

I haven't used the laser in months. As far as I can see, I have eradicated all Aptasia in my tanks (now if I can just get rid of the red calcareous algae.) Some individual polyps required multiple lase sessions - but all eventually died and have not returned. I consider my test of the use of lasers in pest control a long-term success with a few caveats,

Safety First - (for you, any observers (intended or otherwise) and the inhabitants of your tank remain paramount. Used in an unsafe manner, laser light at the powers used for this purpose is dangerous and will burn and blind.

The laser worked very well for me as I was able to acquire a very powerful unit AND my tank had only a few fish, including clowns that rarely left a specific area and my frag tank had no fish. This made it easy to work in areas where they would not be exposed to the beam or endpoint.

Cost - Although prices are dropping, it's still a very expensive tool.

Having read this great thread twice I still have no clear idea of the best way to keep from blinding my lovely fish. In tank would seem to be best as one could get close up but I have to see the beam to kill so the fish should be able to see the beam as well. Then there are places in the tank where the target can't be attacked due to approach angle limitations.

Is seeing the beam from the side dangerous? Would seeing it hitting the target (non reflective rock) from an angle blind them?

This has to be an exceptional tool for my GSP but not at the price of having to kill one of my buddies because I blinded him.

I had thought maybe using a collapsible rubber bellows like used on an automotive CV joint then cut a hole in it to see the focus point. This would allow the bellows to some what form to the target area and limit the escaping light to the cut hole but would that bounce around off the inside of the glass and be strong enough to blind?

Seems like fish safety has to be resolved for this to be the magic tool.
Agreed - At present, I'm unaware of any perfect method of protecting fish. The underwater laser minimized risk, but mine was not powerful enough to provide the results of the larger (~2.4W) laser.

So, if you can remove a rock with a pest on it, the laser would be more effective right? (Especially in a fully(fish) stocked reef.)

This looks like an awesome tool, and as prices drop, the cost will be significantly less then the time + product it takes to kill off aiptasia/algae/hydroids. I wonder if there is an option that is powerful enough to kill red bugs/nudi's yet "safe" for the coral.
Yes, if you are able to remove the rock for treatment, I would do so over the use of a laser.

Hi Tom
I have read this entire thread thoroughly and would like to invest in one of these lasers. Your 2.4 w laser, is it from Survival Laser, r was it custom made elsewhere.? I would interested in ordering the same...how do i do arrange that?
I certainly understand the risk and necessary safety precautions required.
I look forward to your response.
My 2.4 did not come from Survival Laser (it was custom made.) PM if you want the contact information for the builder.

Any long term udates on grow back?
Yup - zip, zero, zilch, none. :)

I am in Western Mass. newbie when it comes to lasers. I am looking to get a laser to control the Aptasia in my 120 reef tank. I have tried searching the net etc I cannot find anywhere that sells the whole laser for under $500. Can someone help me? What would you suggest, as far as color and strength of the beam. It's only Aptasia I have tried the Aptasia X and although it works I hate putting my hands into my tank and everytime I look again there's another one I missed. Any help is appreciated
The more power the better. At present, I still think 445nm is best. PM me if you want contact information for the builder of my 2.4W laser.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump. I am thinking of trying a laser as I am getting overrun with aiptasia. I have tried nudis, and peppermint shrimp to no avail. Corals are now suffering. I must be honest and say that it kinda scares me. LOL!

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I am thinking of trying a laser as I am getting overrun with aiptasia. I have tried nudis, and peppermint shrimp to no avail. Corals are now suffering. I must be honest and say that it kinda scares me. LOL!
I tried peppermint shrimp and they did not want to eat the aip, except for one polyp that is gone, and the shrimp have been dying. I could not take out the rock, so since I had an amazon gift card I bought a majano wand and it has worked wonders. There are a couple aips that located themselves quite well so the wand cannot get to them, but I think once they grow bigger I may be able to get them. I think the laser is neat and would be awesome if it could be pre-made completely to be purchased.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you not zap the aiptasia from above to remove the risk of reflections?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pre built solution. Go to wickedlaser.com. You can buy a 1.4w blue laser which will do the job nicely.
I tried peppermint shrimp and they did not want to eat the aip, except for one polyp that is gone, and the shrimp have been dying. I could not take out the rock, so since I had an amazon gift card I bought a majano wand and it has worked wonders. There are a couple aips that located themselves quite well so the wand cannot get to them, but I think once they grow bigger I may be able to get them. I think the laser is neat and would be awesome if it could be pre-made completely to be purchased.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my wickedlaser 500mw green which works wonderfully at killing algae/Aptasia.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365814362.237818.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365814382.887516.jpg

Last edited:

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that's the site. You're welcome! I happened to already have the laser for my other hobby and had no idea others were also using it for this purpose. There's something satisfying about lasering pests lol. Btw I bought mine off Craigslist. People buy these as "toys" and sell them once the novelty wears off. My laser retails for almost $800 but I got it for $200. Search Craigslist using keyword "wicked laser" or "wickedlaser". They come up often.

Is this the site- Wicked Lasers | Blue, Red, Green Laser Pointers Looks like a hefty chunk of money, I will consider. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Last edited:

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in purchasing one of the custom built 2.4w laser pr one from Wicked Lasers.

Does anybody know if the Wicked Lasers 1w is strong enough to destroy aptasia?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. With current off it'll fry them quickly.

I am interested in purchasing one of the custom built 2.4w laser pr one from Wicked Lasers.

Does anybody know if the Wicked Lasers 1w is strong enough to destroy aptasia?

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks scary and somewhat fun all at once. I'd hate to accidentally hit one of my fish or corals with the laser. That said, I recently grabbed a pair of filefish to address an aiptasia problem. They made quick work of the aiptasia I had. A couple supplemental peppermint shrimp assisted months later. Now to address the rock anemones...

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using 1w laser you won't accidentally hurt anything. It takes a min or more to kill anything. It's not as though your wielding a light saber.... but I'm working on that lol

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be powerful enough to do the job?
1.8W (1,800mW) +/- 100mW peak optical output power at 445nm wavelength with the included high-efficiency 405-G-1 lens

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back