OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fun..
Thanks, I’ll give it a read tomorrow after all the Christmas Eve stuff !

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d use the best plant light spectrum.
Lots of many configs for $100 us or $90 eur.
See Amazon.
Better growth = better fuge.
But any light will work, just not as Effective.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I was also thinking.
But I want an effective refugium. So if it's missing 90% of the wanted spectrum and it's only 10% effective, I'd rather spend the 300 euros and get a specialized light.
I use 2-3 100 watt 5500 K spotlights (Home Depot, cheap) on a macro algae pond that I use to keep nitrates down In the aquarium. I don’t think you need to spend money or much thought on lighting algae.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever see a clown car and all the clowns come out shocking the audience wondering how they all fit…well here is the chaeto clown sump lol

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people get too caught up in efficient spectrum and ignore the total lamp power and output.

Yes a dedicated red heavy lamp is in theory more efficient for growing algae, although I have not seen any real testing and it probably depends on the type of algae, one can’t ignore the power and PAR. For example kessil has a small fuge light that is 15w max, will that outperform a blue heavy 15w light for algae? Probably but how much no one can say. Will it out perform a “white” setting 30w reef fixture? I seriously doubt it. A 90w reef fixture set to all channels? 6 times the power and all else being equal nearly 6 times the intensity? No way.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people get too caught up in efficient spectrum and ignore the total lamp power and output.

Yes a dedicated red heavy lamp is in theory more efficient for growing algae, although I have not seen any real testing and it probably depends on the type of algae, one can’t ignore the power and PAR. For example kessil has a small fuge light that is 15w max, will that outperform a blue heavy 15w light for algae? Probably but how much no one can say. Will it out perform a “white” setting 30w reef fixture? I seriously doubt it. A 90w reef fixture set to all channels? 6 times the power and all else being equal nearly 6 times the intensity? No way.

These are all valid and correct points to bring up.

Like for like, 50w red dedicated 660nm led will yield better results than 50w white

But yes, if someone has a full spectrum 150w reef led and compares that to a weak 15w red led…yea the full spectrum will do better.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, You could build your own LED Fixture. I have the complete instructions for the three I built on the Lighting Board. This Fixture is totally repairable and rebuildable. You”ll just need a Plug in timer to control it.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update on the topic. I ran the light for about a month before it broke. Chaeto was growing but after a few weeks it started bleaching. When the light broke, I got an AI prime fuge light and the chaeto bounced back and is now growing so much better.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back