USING OZONE WITH 2 SKIMMERS

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to use Ozone for water clarity. I have been reading that the most popular method of using Ozone is through a protein skimmer. I run my skimmer air intake with fresh air from outside. I live in Florida where the air is relatively humid more days than not. I know that using an air dryer on humid air would exhaust the media frequently and be counter intuitive. I was thinking that I can just run a second very small ozone ready skimmer, just for the ozone. It seems like the smallest skimmer I can find that is ozone ready is the Tunze Combine Doc Skimmer 9004. My tank volume is 120 gallons give or take. I know that this skimmer is undersized and I would just be using it for ozone. However, I don't know if it would even skim. I actually prefer that it doesn't so I don't have another skimmer to clean. I will probably run the ozone for an hour or two at night and have the skimmer turn on with the ozone reactor. My question is, does the ozone work with a skimmer that isn't skimming? If I specifically tuned the skimmer to not be able to skim will the ozone be effective?

Thanks,

Adam

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ozone generators based on a uv lamp that do not require dry air.
Or run the ozone generator with dryer inside air, for a few hours each week.
That should be enough.
Yes, the ozone works even if not skimmming, but running.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Adamc13o3...I run two skimmers on my 300...I have a reef octopus 300INT various as my main in sump chamber 3...I am in the process of installing a Avast ozone set up with their carbon post reactor and a poseidon 200 ozone gen. This set up does not require the ozone to be injected into a skimmer. I use a tunze 9410 as my skimmer to handle the water that comes from the avast set up as a additional precaution....This ozone set up is in sump chamber 2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back