Using Phosguard on a lps/sps tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow-up, Randy :)

So it will still leach until saturation? What is the limit?

The saturation limit of aluminum in seawater is not a single number as it will vary with pH and alkalinity and other things in solution, and I do not have a way to look up the exact value.

In the article below, I gave this estimate based on known freshwater data:

The maximum solubility of aluminum at pH 8.2 in freshwater is about 2.7 ppm. That is, at concentrations higher than that, the aluminum will precipitate as amorphous aluminum hydroxide. I expect the solubility to be similar or higher in seawater, where complexation to organics may increase the solubility. Consequently, the solubility in both the oceans and in aquaria (as will be seen below) is apparently not typically limited by the solubility of aluminum hydroxide itself.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/chemistry

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use gfo in a bag in a hang on filter. I have a euphylia tank where I use phosgard like that. If gfo is better for the coral, I will switch!

If you have not noticed any issues with coral polyp expansion, especially when the Phosguard is new, I wouldn't change what is working.

GFO is often smaller particles and may not work well in a bag where water may not flow through it well.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the OP on this and to Randy. i just removed the phosguard i started using on tuesday. not worth the risk in my opinion

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, years ago stated "I prefer the pellet GFO from BRS over Rowaphos due to size as I use it in a cannister filter, but there is little to no available data on performance issues".
Do you still have the same thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, years ago stated "I prefer the pellet GFO from BRS over Rowaphos due to size as I use it in a cannister filter, but there is little to no available data on performance issues".
Do you still have the same thoughts?

I still would prefer the pellets, but I don't think they are still available. At least I haven't seen them. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About half way down this page they show to have pellets. Is this the right stuff? GFO and Carbon

Yes, that looks right, thanks! In my application (a canister filter) I think pellets work better. I'll probably get some there next time. :)

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing this up. I use the two interchangeably depending on what's on sale. Has no effect on my corals. Personally I find that GFO is much easier to crush, and it takes a bit longer to rinse. Whenever I have someone else taking care of my tank while I'm away, I tell them to use the Phosguard just so they don't crush the media from not adjusting the flow.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back