UV Sterilizer Install Questions

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

Im installing a 25W pentair UV on my Waterbox 150.4. Im going to run it off a separate pump I scored a great deal on a varios-8's on ebay.

the uv will be in the basement fed by sch80 1in pvc. there is quite a few 90's and it will be about 3-4 feet below the tank so I figured the varios-8 would be enough flow and I would have some leeway to change the flow depending on what i wanted to kill off.

I will also be running a hydros flow meter to check all this.

My concern is the pentair manual says the max pressure in the unit is 20 psi and I ran sch 80 1in pvc which the ID is less than regualr 1in pvc. I should of done more reasearch and run larger pvc.

I ran sch 80 since its running down into the basement I want it to be super heavy duty to prevent any problems.

per BRS the flow rates go
  • Algae & Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 472GPH/788GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
  • Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 79GPH/131GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)
I looked into pressure gauges but they all have brass on the bottom, I was afraid it would contaminate the system.

Do you think I will run into a pressure problem with the setup?

Thanks Everyone!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is it could. At ~6’ of plumbing, and 4-5 90s that pump is advertised to flow just over 1200gph. 1’ Sch-80 flows just over 1000gph@20psi. By the time you figure in bends it would be close assuming perfect conditions. That being said I never like running DC pumps at 100%. Back it down to 80% and I bet it’s flowing something closer to 600gph. Either way if you are worried just plumb in a pressure gauge off a T to check. Once you know what you’re working with either remove the T or blank it.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is it could. At ~6’ of plumbing, and 4-5 90s that pump is advertised to flow just over 1200gph. 1’ Sch-80 flows just over 1000gph@20psi. By the time you figure in bends it would be close assuming perfect conditions. That being said I never like running DC pumps at 100%. Back it down to 80% and I bet it’s flowing something closer to 600gph. Either way if you are worried just plumb in a pressure gauge off a T to check. Once you know what you’re working with either remove the T or blank it.
Thanks for the response, the varios 8 max flow is 2700 gph, i got 2 of them on ebay for a smoking deal i couldn't pass up. thats a good idea for the pressure gauge. maybe ill plumb a valve to it so i can check it occasionally

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, the varios 8 max flow is 2700 gph, i got 2 of them on ebay for a smoking deal i couldn't pass up. thats a good idea for the pressure gauge. maybe ill plumb a valve to it so i can check it occasionally

IMG_3406.jpeg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger diameter pipe is not always a good thing for flow. Way back in the 80’s I took a College Level, “Fluid Flow,’ course. For my class project, I used the Engineering Data on a Computer Room Cooling System. Proved the Engineering was wrong on the Larger size pipe, and they needed higher Horsepower pumps. Yes, we had a lot of service problems. On site Engineer was not happy BTW, Most difficult course I ever took, passed on that paper alone.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger diameter pipe is not always a good thing for flow. Way back in the 80’s I took a College Level, “Fluid Flow,’ course. For my class project, I used the Engineering Data on a Computer Room Cooling System. Proved the Engineering was wrong on the Larger size pipe, and they needed higher Horsepower pumps. Yes, we had a lot of service problems. On site Engineer was not happy BTW, Most difficult course I ever took, passed on that paper alone.
Thanks for the reply! very cool!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back