Velvet Help

ryanat25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 55g got infected with Velvet when I stupidly bought a Tang from another aquarist. First week the new Tang was introduced it showed symptoms, the next 2 days my entire tank (except one) was wiped out before copper treatment arrived from Amazon. That was 2 months ago. I contemplated and decided not to treat the surviving fish (Flamehawk named Bandit) because I was afraid it might make it worse. Now Bandit’s symptoms are gone and he seems to have fully recovered. Should I still treat him with copper? Is he now a carrier and should be on his own for the rest of his life?

I’m planning to start over on a new 120g and I would like to seed the new setup with corals/rocks and little critters that boomed (absence of fish) from my old 55g but I’m hesitant that the water might still contain velvet because of Bandit. I’m super paranoid now and am willing to wait another 2 months and have a coral only 120g while seeding it with critters… but would rather not. Another thing is I don’t want to have a 55g-1-fish tank unless there’s no choice.

Please help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my 55g got infected with Velvet when I stupidly bought a Tang from another aquarist. First week the new Tang was introduced it showed symptoms, the next 2 days my entire tank (except one) was wiped out before copper treatment arrived from Amazon. That was 2 months ago. I contemplated and decided not to treat the surviving fish (Flamehawk named Bandit) because I was afraid it might make it worse. Now Bandit’s symptoms are gone and he seems to have fully recovered. Should I still treat him with copper? Is he now a carrier and should be on his own for the rest of his life?

I’m planning to start over on a new 120g and I would like to seed the new setup with corals/rocks and little critters that boomed (absence of fish) from my old 55g but I’m hesitant that the water might still contain velvet because of Bandit. I’m super paranoid now and am willing to wait another 2 months and have a coral only 120g while seeding it with critters… but would rather not. Another thing is I don’t want to have a 55g-1-fish tank unless there’s no choice.

Please help.
he 'Could' be a carrier. I would treat him with the usual QT protocol, and leave your tank fallow in the meantime (i.e. 45-76 days - depending on the protocol you want to use). Also the fallow period for velvet can be somewhat shorter - but without being sure that it was velvet - as compared to Ich I would go with the longer period, while you follow the QT process. Good luck with Bandit!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Velvet is a flagellate and as MnFish stated, it does have a shorter lifespan but without treatment has potential to return however, you can use Ruby Rally Pro in the tank which addresses velvet and is safe for coral and inverts or do the complete protocol in the 30 day treatment cycle with use of copper.
Assume the fish have something and treat rather than risk the next fish contracting something you dont want

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accurate diagnosis is key here - are you certain the fish had velvet? If they had ich, your hawk fish could more easily still be a carrier.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back