Vertex 150 Omega pump going bad?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex 150 Omega that I purchased back in about 2014. Occasionally, when I turn off the power to the pump (cleaning, etc) then turn it back on, the impeller seems to get caught. I hear it make a sound as if catching. I then disconnect it from the skimmer and move it in the water to get it restarted. Then it will work normally. I cleaned it out but it still happens. Since they are no longer in business, is there anything I can do?

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it is not a bad run. I'm debating replacing the impeller. Apparently I can use the Sicce PSK1000 impeller but that may or may not fix it. Or I can use it as an excuse to buy a new skimmer and be 100% certain it works :). Lot of money though. If I were to replace the skimmer, what would be a quieter, more effective option that would fit in the same space or less? The existing specs are 9x12 (and it's tight!) w/22" height. I have about 2" to spare w/height as long as I can take the top off and put it on after placing it in the sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back