Vertical Brute Trash Can Mixing Station Plumbing

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm building my mixing station out of 32g brute trashcans, however, I'm wondering how some of you may have plumbed yours if you did it vertically?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a bulkhead on either brute with pvc connecting them (with unions and a ball valve). I have one tee going to a valve and an elbow for a place to get rodi water into a bucket if I need it.
I fill the top with rodi and the bottom is salt. When I need to mix more saltwater I just open a valve to empty the top one into the bottom, add the salt and turn on a powerhead in the bottom to mix, and fill the top one back up.
Mine is not pretty, but it's cheap and it is in a utility room so I don't care what it looks like. I also use it for AWC so I don't need any pumps on it other than the powerhead to mix the salt since I never pump saltwater out, other than with my peristaltic pump.

If this doesn't make sense I can include a picture but I'm currently at work so it wouldn't be until this evening.

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a bulkhead on either brute with pvc connecting them (with unions and a ball valve). I have one tee going to a valve and an elbow for a place to get rodi water into a bucket if I need it.
I fill the top with rodi and the bottom is salt. When I need to mix more saltwater I just open a valve to empty the top one into the bottom, add the salt and turn on a powerhead in the bottom to mix, and fill the top one back up.
Mine is not pretty, but it's cheap and it is in a utility room so I don't care what it looks like. I also use it for AWC so I don't need any pumps on it other than the powerhead to mix the salt since I never pump saltwater out, other than with my peristaltic pump.

If this doesn't make sense I can include a picture but I'm currently at work so it wouldn't be until this evening.
Yes, a picture would be great!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a picture would be great!

20210222_161140.jpg 20210222_161148.jpg
Here is my cheap, easy diy mixing station. I had to take it in 2 pictures because there is too much junk to get far enough away to get it in one picture. Please ignore my mess but the room it's in is effectively my basement.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back