(Video) EcoTech Marine Radion G5 PRO + Giesemann T5 = All combination possible

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

Finally it's here, after many hours of work and some tweak I published my video about the EcoTech Marine Radion G5 Pro with T5 from Giesemann.
I use the Aquatic Life Hybrid Fixture (god that thing has been so helpful for me).

I recorded all the combinations possible with my Tank "Lab" full shot and a Close shot on one of my Blastomussa merletti.
All the footage has been recorded the same night (Radion G5 Blue also), 4k 30fps.

I never put multiple 4k Footage next to the other and gosh it's painful to render, it took 30hour and just for this.

So I use Giesemann T5: Super Actinic, Actinic Blue, Super Purple, Aquablue Coral, Aquablue Azure.

I told them what I was planning to do a long time ago and they have been patient and comprehensive, no pressure.
I told them I was waiting to have a "real" camera before I start the things I want to do. I was waiting for the A7SIII sony but it
never came, so I was tired of waiting and activate my backup plan and Bought A7III 1-2 months before the COVID-19. (good thing...)

Talking about COVID-19, I'm in Isolation after a while so I finally got time to make that documentation video. I took my time to make this first video, I went to different iteration, I'm still not satisfied at 100% so any comments are welcome on how to make this better.

Now that I have a Recipe, other videos in the same kind will be much faster to create (except for that render, 10-year-old PC...)

I didn't want to make Review video about light too much on my channel because I want to buy a Spectrometer for doing my Review for the reef community.
Since I'm alone and 100% independent, the cost of this is pretty high (2000-4000$), so it's hard right now to justify one, I have to pay my rent and food first then that thing is high on my priority... If my real full-time day job can come back...

I also don't put Ad on my YT video or receive payment or partner to make a review for companies on YouTube, so let's just say money is not my motivation but it's needed. At some point, I will need to find a way but never at a cost of not being independent or 100% honest.
YouTube might force me to put Ads because it doesn't suggest/push videos that don't have ads, so my videos are not being seen as they should.
Sorry for that rant, it's just that I feel sometimes the Reef community on Youtube is aehmm... let's say, there is a lot of influence...

That video means a lot to me, 3 years ago before I start my channel I was wishing "Dang I wish we have videos with full comparison", but no one is really doing it (I understood why after hehe). So fast forward 3 years later, I'm here doing it. Took time to accumulate all the hardware and part of the puzzle. The more I can remove video project out of my head the better I feel ;)

I tried to make it happen also with ATI but it didn't went well, unfortunately, I think the person I spoke didn't understood the amount of work it was required and it's free advertising for them (!). But...

I think we could safely say that the bulbs are very similar so:

Super Actinic -> True Actinic
Actinic Blue -> Blue Plus
Super Purple -> Purple Plus
Aquablue Coral -> Coral Plus
Aquablue Azure -> Aquablue Special

The spectrum I showed in my video come from the website from Either EcoTech Marine or Giesemann. I modify them so we can overlay correctly,
I don't think it's accurate to be honest, that why I want my own Spectrometer, but for the purpose or understanding, I think it will do the job.

After Each record Clip I took a picture so I can publish on the forum also the essential:
Full Resolution here
Photo_RadionG5_PRO_T5_Comparison_1920_v01.jpg

Sorry for that long post ;), by the way, English is not my mother-tongue so if I say something incorrect let me know.
The next video will be with the Radion G5 Blue then 2 other light that I own also.

Your feedback on this video is super important to me if I can do anything to make them better let me know on the Comment section of YouTube also (It helps to rank better the video)

- Aqua Splendor

Last edited:

AaaRr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! This is truly helpful for me as I am planning on moving to LED/T5 from MH/T5. Helps me land on the T5 bulbs I'll be using. I'm in-between Super Actinic and Actinic Blue.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I just received an email from them to clarify a little bit the situation with other T5 Brand:
GIESEMANN:
These are not the same lights – they look close to each other but we have our own production for the best performance

I'm editing my post
EDIT: Well look like I can't even Edit my own post on top??

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

Finally it's here, after many hours of work and some tweak I published my video about the EcoTech Marine Radion G5 Pro with T5 from Giesemann.
I use the Aquatic Life Hybrid Fixture (god that thing has been so helpful for me).

I recorded all the combinations possible with my Tank "Lab" full shot and a Close shot on one of my Blastomussa merletti.
All the footage has been recorded the same night (Radion G5 Blue also), 4k 30fps.

I never put multiple 4k Footage next to the other and gosh it's painful to render, it took 30hour and just for this.

So I use Giesemann T5: Super Actinic, Actinic Blue, Super Purple, Aquablue Coral, Aquablue Azure.

I told them what I was planning to do a long time ago and they have been patient and comprehensive, no pressure.
I told them I was waiting to have a "real" camera before I start the things I want to do. I was waiting for the A7SIII sony but it
never came, so I was tired of waiting and activate my backup plan and Bought A7III 1-2 months before the COVID-19. (good thing...)

Talking about COVID-19, I'm in Isolation after a while so I finally got time to make that documentation video. I took my time to make this first video, I went to different iteration, I'm still not satisfied at 100% so any comments are welcome on how to make this better.

Now that I have a Recipe, other videos in the same kind will be much faster to create (except for that render, 10-year-old PC...)

I didn't want to make Review video about light too much on my channel because I want to buy a Spectrometer for doing my Review for the reef community.
Since I'm alone and 100% independent, the cost of this is pretty high (2000-4000$), so it's hard right now to justify one, I have to pay my rent and food first then that thing is high on my priority... If my real full-time day job can come back...

I also don't put Ad on my YT video or receive payment or partner to make a review for companies on YouTube, so let's just say money is not my motivation but it's needed. At some point, I will need to find a way but never at a cost of not being independent or 100% honest.
YouTube might force me to put Ads because it doesn't suggest/push videos that don't have ads, so my videos are not being seen as they should.
Sorry for that rant, it's just that I feel sometimes the Reef community on Youtube is aehmm... let's say, there is a lot of influence...

That video means a lot to me, 3 years ago before I start my channel I was wishing "Dang I wish we have videos with full comparison", but no one is really doing it (I understood why after hehe). So fast forward 3 years later, I'm here doing it. Took time to accumulate all the hardware and part of the puzzle. The more I can remove video project out of my head the better I feel ;)

I tried to make it happen also with ATI but it didn't went well, unfortunately, I think the person I spoke didn't understood the amount of work it was required and it's free advertising for them (!). But...

I think we could safely say that the bulbs are very similar so:

Super Actinic -> True Actinic
Actinic Blue -> Blue Plus
Super Purple -> Purple Plus
Aquablue Coral -> Coral Plus
Aquablue Azure -> Aquablue Special

The spectrum I showed in my video come from the website from Either EcoTech Marine or Giesemann. I modify them so we can overlay correctly,
I don't think it's accurate to be honest, that why I want my own Spectrometer, but for the purpose or understanding, I think it will do the job.

After Each record Clip I took a picture so I can publish on the forum also the essential:
Full Resolution here
Photo_RadionG5_PRO_T5_Comparison_1920_v01.jpg

Sorry for that long post ;), by the way, English is not my mother-tongue so if I say something incorrect let me know.
The next video will be with the Radion G5 Blue then 2 other light that I own also.

Your feedback on this video is super important to me if I can do anything to make them better let me know on the Comment section of YouTube also (It helps to rank better the video)

- Aqua Splendor

Your video is very well done, and I can appreciate the amount of time and effort it took to produce. There are some spectrometers on the market that are less expensive but still pricey ($900 US or so.) Again, thanks for your efforts! I might have missed it - how did you measure PAR?

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
At around 900$ us? uh that would be interesting!
Do you remember the brand name? I was thinking to buy the Apogee one.

I measure my PAR with the Apogee MQ 510, I did it in my empty aquarium glass on the ground during night, light at 70cm high. Took 5 sample, 4 corner + center did a average then divide by 1.32 since it's not underwater.
At didn't want to put emphasis on the PAR but to give a rough idea of the difference between combination.

Actually here a photo I took:

Eventually, when I will make videos about T5 only, I will make them a little bit more precise and with my aquarium with one of the glass with a black background.
I tried to make review video for light until I got a Spectrum meter, that is what is holding me back right now.

If I do or say something incorrect in my video or post, let me know because I'm just a hobbyist, having input from expert is important. I'm scared of hell to delivering false information :p

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
At around 900$ us? uh that would be interesting!
Do you remember the brand name? I was thinking to buy the Apogee one.

I measure my PAR with the Apogee MQ 510, I did it in my empty aquarium glass on the ground during night, light at 70cm high. Took 5 sample, 4 corner + center did a average then divide by 1.32 since it's not underwater.
At didn't want to put emphasis on the PAR but to give a rough idea of the difference between combination.

Actually here a photo I took:

Eventually, when I will make videos about T5 only, I will make them a little bit more precise and with my aquarium with one of the glass with a black background.
I tried to make review video for light until I got a Spectrum meter, that is what is holding me back right now.

If I do or say something incorrect in my video or post, let me know because I'm just a hobbyist, having input from expert is important. I'm scared of hell to delivering false information :p

OK, thanks! Yes, the MQ-510 is an excellent meter. See here for a variety of specs:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back