Vinyl flooring question

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Installing vinyl flooring in my office which will hold a 133g peninsula in a few months.

Lowes person told me I needed padding under the vinyl as insulation for the slab but I am worried the tank weight will crack and make the floor bow out with extra insulation padding

Is that necessary? I’m I risking mold for no flex ?
It already has a pad so I thought I was good

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a vinyl plank flooring in my house that has the padding attached to each piece, and I did not lay down an extra underlayment. I have a 125g and 100g tank sitting on the floor and have never had an issue.
How it would do with an extra layer of unerlayment I can’t say for a fact, but I suspect it would be fine. Do those planks have a built in pad?
If they are only recommending the underlayment as a form of moisture barrier then you may be able to just use the rolls of thick 6mil plastic instead. If the vinyl planks are completely water resistant then I don’t even know why a moisture barrier would be necessary, but I’m no expert.
For reference here are the planks that i used

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed a vinyl plank flooring in my house that has the padding attached to each piece, and I did not lay down an extra underlayment. I have a 125g and 100g tank sitting on the floor and have never had an issue.
How it would do with an extra layer of unerlayment I can’t say for a fact, but I suspect it would be fine. Do those planks have a built in pad?
If they are only recommending the underlayment as a form of moisture barrier then you may be able to just use the rolls of thick 6mil plastic instead. If the vinyl planks are completely water resistant then I don’t even know why a moisture barrier would be necessary, but I’m no expert.
For reference here are the planks that i used

Sorry, just realized I did grab 6mil plastic. It wasn’t foam or anything. But still a concern

I will look into the recommendation on the vinyl

Yes they do have padding

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The underlayment is really only for moisture and noise abatement......(walking)....you'll be fine. I assume over the tile floor?

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The underlayment is really only for moisture and noise abatement......(walking)....you'll be fine. I assume over the tile floor?

Understood , but will the extra padding cause my tank to crack the flooring from extra padding

It’s going over slab, concrete

It’s currently a carpet room

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That flooring has padding already attached. No need to add any more. If on a slab you can use a sheet of plastic moisture barrier, but no more padding. I put 1500 sf of Charleston Oak in my house.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now to my next question , will the floor pop up or crack or smush over time as I’m using the leveling feet from redsea or Cade. Haven’t decided between the Cade 1200 peninsula or 500 g2

I’m considering tile now

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to my next question , will the floor pop up or crack or smush over time as I’m using the leveling feet from redsea or Cade. Haven’t decided between the Cade 1200 peninsula or 500 g2

I’m considering tile now
It will likely leave indentation over time where the feet are.

Maybe a sheet of plywood cut to size underneath to eliminate direct pressure from the feet.

Setting the stand directly on the floor and use composite shims should minimize the indentation.

Tile would be best, but much more labor intensive to install.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back