Vodka Dosing

mkenochm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Ive been reading the post in the old cite on vodka dosing and have since been doing some research on the web about it. My local water source has high PO3 and has been causing some problems and my Nitrates are starting to get a little out of control. I know I should be using RO/DI water and I even have 2 units but my plunber has been a little busy with all of my other honey do lists so I've jsut been making do. In doing research there is a lot of controversy on the subject of Vodka dosing and 99% of what I have found has been negative. Randy I know you are Vodka dosing, how long have you been and has it been benneficial? Any negatives? Also do you have a DSB in your tanks? Any one else have any info they would like to share. Just an FYI my husband says I;m considering the practice of drunken fish for a successful aquarium:tongue:.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do dose vodka, start out sloooowly. I started at .4ml and raised it .2 every two weeks. I was up to 6ml per day on a 100 gallon system and then cut back to 4ml per day for my maintenance dose. I split my dose to am and pm so I do 2ml in the morning and 2ml at night. I also have a dsb. I have been dosing for about a year. I cut my GFO off about 3 months ago also and PO4 is .03. BUT IMHO the first thing you should do is get the RO/DI hooked up first before you even think about vodka dosing.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Paul_PSU in that you need to start out slowly and that an RO/DI should be your first step toward NO3 and PO4 control... I have been Vodka dosing for a few months now... I'm up to 5.5 mL on a 260gal system... I have been following the schedule posted on the other thread...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back