WAMAS Winter (Annual) Meeting February 10, 2024 - Joe Yaiullo

Gatortailale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Event: WAMAS Winter 2024 Meeting (in person, not streamed)
Saturday, February 10, 2024
Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Speaker starts at 3 PM)
Where: Green Acres Center, 4401 Sideburn Rd., Fairfax, VA

WAMAS members get in free. Guests are $5 each (paid at the door). Join WAMAS at this link.

Refreshments provided by WAMAS.

Note that this meeting starts a little bit later than our normal meetings. Officers and other volunteers will not have access to the facility until 1:00pm to begin setting up (we normally arrive at around 11:45am), so anyone arriving before 2:00pm may have to wait outside or may be put to work inside. Please be patient at the start because everything may not be ready at 2pm.

Speaker will be Joe Yaiullo, curator of the 20,000 gallon reef tank at the Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead, NY.

Speaker Biography:
Joe Yaiullo
2016 MASNA Aquarist of the Year, Joe Yaiullo, spent much of his childhood maintaining home aquariums and exploring the marine life surrounding Long Island, New York. Now he gets paid to basically do what he did as a kid and has been keeping reef tanks for over 29 years.

Joe has a B.S. in Marine Science from LIU Southampton College’s marine science program, and worked for 8 years at the NY Aquarium in Brooklyn, New York as Senior Aquarist. In 1992, he began to shape his plan for a world-class aquarium on Long Island’s East End. In 2000, after toiling for eight long years, his plans and vision became a reality with the opening of Atlantis Marine World Aquarium in Riverhead, NY (now known as the Long Island Aquarium).

Joe, an admitted “Coralaholic”, currently feeds his ever increasing addiction with a 20,000 gallon live coral reef display. Joe has been featured in many reef keeping books and magazines, has given lectures all over the world, was awarded The Distinguished Alumni Award from Southampton College and was president of the Long Island Reef Association, LIRA for 12 years.

Agenda:

2:00 Sign-in / socialize / frag sales
2:50 Club business
3:00 Speaker: Joe Yaiullo
4:00 Break
4:30 Raffle!

Directions to the Green Acres Center:
Green Acres Center is next to George Mason University in Fairfax, VA.

Here's a map from Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/neGSWGJ2G8APuh5k8

Special thanks to theses sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

WAMAS Platinum Sponsors
- Air, Water & Ice
- AquaHaus
- Avast Marine
- Blue Ribbon Koi
- Capital Aquarium
- ChemiPure (Boyd Enterprises)
- Coral Magazine
- Exotic Reef Creations
- FishnReef.com
- Frank's Tanks
- ICP Analysis
- Maxspect
- Premium Aquatics
- Puddle Aquatics
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
- Reef eScape
- Reef Nerd Aquatics
- SaltwaterAquarium.com
- Supreme Reefs

WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors
- Cobalt Aquatics
- Jellyfish Art
- MASNA
- Two Little Fishies

Raffle Prizes:
  • $50 Gift Certificate for Reef Nutrition products (with $40 bump-up for shipping). (2 chances to win!)
  • $100 Gift Certificate for Reef Nutrition products (with $40 bump-up for shipping)
  • 2 Sicce - 5000 XStream
  • 2 Sicce - 6500 XStream
  • Nyos fish trap
  • Colours of the Reef - 3 volume set (donated by Ned & Anna DeLoach).
  • Cobalt Aquatics prize
  • Capital Exotic Fish prize
More items posted soon.

Jason Fox Signature Corals on site

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back