Want To Add Corals , Need Help Please

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be very white in colour, which isn't a big deal, especially for lower light corals like what your considering. It's just how it looks and a personal preference. Most people like roughly a 2:1 ratio of blue:white whereas yours is a 1:2 blue:white ratio.
I've got an led fixture coming in the mail with the same blue:white ratio as the one your looking at and I've been assured (by several people I trust) it will grow softies and LPS just fine :)

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great :) im glad to hear that. I personally don't care if it looks a bit too white, aslong as the corals can grow and live im ok with it for now lol by the way, I don't really know about how much time to keep the lights on ? Like if I should keep both blues and whites on during the day and then blues only at night ? Im a bit confused. I know everyone runs different timing on theirs but what's like the rule of thumb if we can say ?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)
The time the light is turned on (i.e. the photoperiod) is another personal preference. I keep my lights on a timer and they stay on for 8 hours a day and I don't worry about dawn/dusk or moonlights as I have compact fluorescents. I have LED moonlights, but only use them for taking photos and to check out the fluorescing corals from time to time. You should have both whites and blues running during the day (simulating daylight), but it's up to you if you want to run only blues before (simulating dawn) and/or after (simulating dusk/night time) the usual daylight hours.
Blues only at night is pretty cool as you can watch some of the nocturnal things in your rock come out and explore and it gives you a chance to watch how your fish and corals act at night time. It's mainly for aesthetics though.
Some people run their lights for 6 hours, some 12. It's really up to you. I found 8 hours is convenient for me :)

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats good. I was just kind of curious because ive herd people say that your corals will burn out and stuff like that so yeah. Im glad to hear its just another personal preference :) i think ill just get a timer and set it for whatever suits me best. Thanks for all the help :)

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find softies are kinda easy and forgiving. That light will work just fine. LED is the way to go. For the type of coral you want, that light will be just fine.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hours is the start point. I always recommend people start low, especially with a new set up. That way if your corals don't react well you know they need more light.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i know LPS and softies are eassier than SPS and personally i am a bigger fan of LPS so thats a good. But yeah, what you said makes sense. I guess ill start at 8 hours and see how it goes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back