Want to make an under stand sump/refugium if I can...

2twoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g. breeder style tank that I am starting a reef style tank in. I do plan to eventually go up to a custom in the wall tank, but not for a while. My tank measures about 36" x 16". I would like to eliminate the hang on the back filter and heater if at all possible. Just mainly for looks as well as having something more practical for water changes/ top offs to not disturb the corals as much. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Or how to go about building something that would work as a filter/ heater/ water flow regulator? Let me know. Thanks!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a tank that fits under your tand, throw in some glass baffles and boom instant sump..

addicted4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely put the sump in the stand first, then your tank above. If your stand has a brace in the way, temporarily remove it to get the sump in place. Consider building your own sump totally out of acrylic from your local hardware store. Acrylic is easy to work with, if you have the right tools. Hardest part is finding the glue, Weld-on #16 is the thick stuff. After you build your sump, test it for leaks before you trust it in your house. I filled mine and left it full for 3 days before I took it to the fish room.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back