Water change? Yes/No... Lesser of two evils

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not really sure lol but ive had this same issue so many times, as soon as nitrate falls below phosphate, the po4 skyrockers and cyano it is ( for me) =) but yea the gfo seems to not work at all, it seems strange but it does happen

Sorry, it must be some other mechanism, such as other organisms that normally take up phosphate slowing their growth because they are N limited. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is strange and doesn't really add up. GFO being a binder is not dependent on anything but its saturation point. So the more likely answer is that at the time of the WC the GFO is saturated and not absorbing phosphate, coupled with the lack of nitrate even the amount of phosphate used in the redfield ratio is not exported. So phosphate rises... It's the only logical explanation.

Yes, I agree. N limiting the growth of other organisms sounds likely. :)

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just couple a refresh of the GFO at the time of a water change. That will likely solve the issue and if it works, solve the mystery. [emoji6]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back