Water chemistry question

neilsarah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am still getting the hang of all this and have a few questions. Over the past few months my DKH has been good bouncing between 8.0 and 8.5. Calcium has been around the 430-460 range. All tested with Hannah testers. Over the past 3 weeks I had to dose for flukes (prazi) as well as dosing for Cyanobacteria (chemiclean). I had a phosphate issue 1.0-1.5 so I added a bag of gfo into my sump. I just tested my water and my alk jumped to 9.9 my calcium is in the 480 range and my PH is testing on the low end of my tester. So somewhere in the 7.0 range. I did a 20% water change over the weekend due to the chemiclean (180 gal tank). What if anything should I do? Will raising the PH drop the dkh? Or will it have the opposite effects? I am at a loss.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that’s what I am asking. Is there a way to do so without affecting the dkh?
I'm sorry for the laugh emoji... There's another thread about this subject and your comment, in light of the other thread, was funny.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am still getting the hang of all this and have a few questions. Over the past few months my DKH has been good bouncing between 8.0 and 8.5. Calcium has been around the 430-460 range. All tested with Hannah testers. Over the past 3 weeks I had to dose for flukes (prazi) as well as dosing for Cyanobacteria (chemiclean). I had a phosphate issue 1.0-1.5 so I added a bag of gfo into my sump. I just tested my water and my alk jumped to 9.9 my calcium is in the 480 range and my PH is testing on the low end of my tester. So somewhere in the 7.0 range. I did a 20% water change over the weekend due to the chemiclean (180 gal tank). What if anything should I do? Will raising the PH drop the dkh? Or will it have the opposite effects? I am at a loss.
So, if phosphate “was” 1.0-1.5ppm that would be very high, and if you GFO, what is it now?

What’s nitrate running?

Whats MG running at, real low MG can cause varying Alk readings.

OP
OP
N

neilsarah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if phosphate “was” 1.0-1.5ppm that would be very high, and if you GFO, what is it now?

What’s nitrate running?

Whats MG running at, real low MG can cause varying Alk readings.
I only have the ULR tester. It’s saying it’s over the high range (.9). I use the chemical test (API) and it’s still showing in the 1-1.5. I have only had GFO in there for 2 days. It’s very difficult to distinguish the colors on those. I do not currently test MG so I have no idea where it’s at. Also nitrate using the API test seems to be near zero.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that’s what I am asking. Is there a way to do so without affecting the dkh?

You can only do that by removing CO2, such as fresher air to the room, a CO2 scrubber, or hydroxide when you need alkalinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back