Water circulation in a 10 gallon reef tank

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if they sale circulation pumps for a 10 gallon reef tank that can stick to the side of the tank and create water movement?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few that small. Jebao, Tunze and Ecotech all come to mind. Just look at the smallest ones they make.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Any idea of how many gallons per hour a circulation pump on a tank that size should be?

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you keep. But from my experience, that is what i would start with. It wont be so strong that your tank will be a washing machine. But, it will be good enough for keeping anything.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends really on what you plan to keep. For instance, an sps tank needs a lot more flow than an lps tank.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my koralia
20180129_221732.jpg
nano, on the bottom, that i have for a dead spot. They work great, can go anywhere, and are silent.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a hydor koralia 1050 that I thought I would try to put at the top of the tank to try it and see what would happen, and it blew sand all over the place. Lol. So do you think the 2 425s would do the same thing? I see on a website that I can purchase from that they sale 240s, would that be good enough or not enough flow?

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the big koralia is way too much for a ten gallon. No, i think the 425s would be fine. Thats what i have, and its pretty gentle, so the 240s are probably almost nothing. I wouldnt bother with them.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IceCap Gyre 1K is due to be released this week or next. Up to 1,000 GPH flow. Could be good for high flow in a small aquarium if you were thinking SPS. A horizontal mount would take up much less real estate than two Koralias. If it is not an SPS set up, the gyre could still work at low percent power or a single powerhead plus the return may be sufficient.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the shape of the IceCap Gyre 1K and how it looks like it would take up less space. But I don't want to spend that much money right now on a circulation pump, and if I do I think I would probably get a Hydor smart wave pump controller. That way each one turns on and off. I was thinking about maybe getting that and 2 425s or 240s.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the shape of the IceCap Gyre 1K and how it looks like it would take up less space. But I don't want to spend that much money right now on a circulation pump, and if I do I think I would probably get a Hydor smart wave pump controller. That way each one turns on and off. I was thinking about maybe getting that and 2 425s or 240s.

Does The IceCap Gyre 1k turn on and off each side?

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a great plan.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the big koralia is way too much for a ten gallon. No, i think the 425s would be fine. Thats what i have, and its pretty gentle, so the 240s are probably almost nothing. I wouldnt bother with them.

Is yours a 10 gallon?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does The IceCap Gyre 1k turn on and off each side?

The expectations for the 1K Gyre are it can run with both sides at once running the same direction in various modes (this is the A & B directional cage setup). The unit can also run alternating mode. On their current 3K unit, this is accomplished by using two A or two B directional cages (purchased separately). This allows you to run one direction on one half of the unit, then switch to another direction on the other half. Essentially like running two pumps with one unit. I assume the 1K will work the same way.

Back