Water mistake

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We visited the Birch Aquarium while in San Diego for MACNA. My daughter and I were lucky enough to see the Sunflower Starfish spawn!
awsome! Most folks missed it, but the leopard sharks were coming in to la jolla to pup that same week. Its about a quarter mile south from there. Really such a beautiful spot. So for us going to get water is not too much of a hardship. a quarter mile north are the tidepools.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my mix station.
f49bc83297095f5c1b7d388585efbb93.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my mix station.

Awesome mixing station!

We wanted to snorkle with the leopard sharks (behind The Marina restaurant) , but the water was too cold for us (we are use to the 82 degree gulf coast lol). We went to La Jolla several times, once for tidal pools at Bird Rock, tons of sea life...seals, octopus, nudibranch, anemones, snails, fish...spent hours looking. Like them better then the ones at Point Loma. Packed in a lot of San Diego that week:three full days of MACNA, sea world twice, zoo, safari park, birch aquarium, sunset cliffs to watch sunset twice, Belmont Park, tide pools, harbor tour, Fleet Week tours and events, USS Midway...

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm posting so many questions lately...I really appreciate everybody's help and clearly I need it! [emoji15]

So far I have been buying saltwater from a LFS (I will eventually get a RO/DI system). I was at a different store last weekend and got water from them since I was already there. I now see this was stupid.

It has JUST NOW occurred to me to actually ask what kinds of salt mixes the two different stores use. One of them told me they don't actually mix their water, they use saltwater from the ocean!

Have I totally messed up my poor tank by using mixed saltwater and ocean saltwater? Should I drain all the water out and start over again with water, being consistent with just the one type??

You may already do this, but I would always check the salinity of the saltwater (especially if getting from a new location). Some places are known to mix the saltwater to a lower salinity (saves them money).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back