Water parameters okay?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to test calcium? It looks unusually low. Test error? That’s the only thing that caught my eye.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm doing something wrong :loudly-crying-face:
And don't feel alone. There is SO much to know and the learning curve in this hobby is steep. Compared to 12 years ago, I know SO much more comparitvely. That being said, I'm still completely intimidated by most of the members here. Their knowledge base is just flat out vast. Just do your best and study every day. It's the best you can do.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw that too. What are you using to test?
I'm using some brand that my LFS recommended me i'm not exactly sure of the brand but last night I remember thinking maybe I did a couple more drops than I was supposed to. When I get home I will test it and update the thread

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using some brand that my LFS recommended me i'm not exactly sure of the brand but last night I remember thinking maybe I did a couple more drops than I was supposed to. When I get home I will test it and update the thread

What are you using for new salt water and are you dosing anything?

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good besides the calcium, do you have any corals or plan on getting any? remember that every tank can thrive at different parameters as long as things aren’t TOO out of whack and no exact number is going to be “perfect” I think maintaining those parameters is more important. for instance, my softies and corals all do very well and show good growth with Po4 in the .2-.3PPM range while it is recommended to keep it below .1PPM

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix nc well water and instant ocean salt. I'm not dosing anything

The well water may be a problem. I’d suggest measuring alk and calcium on some freshly made IO.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to test calcium? It looks unusually low. Test error? That’s the only thing that caught my eye.
Today when I tested again I got 280. Is that much better? I am planning to get corals. I am adding calcium around every week. Is this a good move?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today when I tested again I got 280. Is that much better? I am planning to get corals. I am adding calcium around every week. Is this a good move?
Are you using an API test kit? You said “drops.”

I would try the salifert or Red Sea test kit.

@Randy Holmes-Farley What are the concerns of well water? Do you think corals are a good idea for NY well water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water can contain alkalinity, calcium, heavy metals, etc.

In this case, alkalinity in the well water might have been going into calcium carbonate production, lowering calcium.

But the low calcium may be test error, which is why we want to see testing of new salt water made from the well water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please test some new salt water. Any value in the 200’s is too low. You want about 400-550 ppm.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back