RuneScapeReefer

RuneScapeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: 09/20/2023

Hi all, sorry for the long period of not updating this build thread. I'm trying! So far nothing interesting with the tank so far (I'd say). It feels like I just got water in this thing yesterday (it was really Halloween of 2022) and here we are just over a month until then?? But I wanted a year or so to pass to let the whole thing kind of balance itself out. Taking things slow, no drastic changes; just skimming, filter flossing, and 32g WC's every month or so, and manually adding Magnesium (I currently use SeaChem, but will be using Aquaforest after I run out. I do want to start dosing soon, (I currently dose AFR on my 25 peninsula plus Magnesium, so I'm pretty familiar with how it works. I'll add that I'm heading in the HYDROS direction rather than Apex for the Infinia. Overall, I've mainly been focusing on the fish and their diets during this time. I have a variety of corals in the Infinia, (mostly softies and a few lps, nothing insanely important other than my GMK's I guess lol). I'm a firm believer in vitamin supplements along with a diet with variety, and of course while paying attention to quality. I'm happy to have come this far, however I'm aware that could change quickly.

I'm going to add a bunch of pictures, some are from my DSLR, some from my phone. I do not feel like re-exporting with watermarks (not that I think my pictures are that good, it's more-so because stolen photos for fake listings all over seems isn't uncomon. As an artist I have had my stuff stolen and reposted elsewhere, so I guess I'm a little paranoid.) BUT with that being said, I can easily recognize my own stuff so I'd be able to tell should I ever see that with my images. I also have to reduce the quality so it may not even matter lol. Pictures to follow

_MG_3045-Enhanced-NR.jpg

This is Fruitloop the Biota YT, since May of '22.

_MG_0966-Enhanced-NR.jpg
I'm down one Storm (the top, female); in my previous update I had mentioned where I lost the female of my Fancy Ocellaris pair due to jumping out (after spending hours building the lid.. lol. It happened the night after I introduced the Pacific blue. They loved hovering at the surface at night, so I was inclined to believe she was startled. Anyways, this SAME exact scenario just happened to the female of my Orange Storm pair last week. Since moving the Fancy Ocellaris to the peninsula upstairs and bringing the Storms down to the Infinia, they ALSO decided they were going to love the top corners of the overflow.. right at the surface. I had all my gaps covered, and the ONE night I ended up not covering one of the gaps for some reason, and I DIDN'T perform my nightly flashlight check for anything stray on the floor (I tend to fling margarita snails off when I remove the lid so I put them back during my nightly checks if I find them, and I'm paranoid in general). Recently I noticed Fruitloop was corralling them at the top corner and would give them the classic tail-whip if they descended in the water column. So maybe this whole time it was Fruitloop just clownfish-launching?

_MG_1673-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Pretty sure this one was taken somewhere before Fruitloops first anniversary.

_MG_1732-Enhanced-NR.jpg

This is Speed Demon. I LOVE my Melanurus; don't get me wrong, but man I can't have ANY clean-up crew. The sheer speed, precision, short digestive tract, and fast metabolism of this fish is so fascinating. I got Speed Demon in September of '22, today is actually five days past the first anniversary! Eagerly awaiting the full transition.

_MG_3139-Enhanced-NR.jpg

A more recent image of Speed Demon, plus my new lil guy the Biota bluestreak cleaner wrasse. Speed Demon is so good with other fish, couldn't be any more peaceful in that aspect.

_MG_1134-2-Enhanced-NR.jpg
This WAS a Deer cowrie lol. What I CAN keep though are ceriths (dwarf, stocky, and Florida) and hermit crabs. He'll try getting hermits, but they're unreachable to him once they tuck themselves into their shells. When Fruitloop sees a hermit out walking, he now starts pecking at it until it retreats just like the wrasse does. Even those little tiny hermit crabs I still see them alive. All my astrea turbos and trochus have been wiped out lol. Even fuzzy chitons he loves to flip over (I put those in the upstairs tank now)

_MG_2760-Enhanced-NR.jpg

My Biota Pacific blue, the goofiest and weirdest fish I have. I call this one Doofy, but has graduated to Doofus since growing larger. (Quality of this picture makes the shimmers of light kind of look like blotches.) Arrived as a tiny little bingo chip Nov of '22. Over a month from now and we'll hit the one-year mark. Easily the fastest-growing fish I have (I also feed heavily, I prefer all my fish to be kind of stocky). Working on the scarring; arrived that way, and although it looks as if it's getting bigger it may be because the fish itself is getting bigger and it's just scaling with it. I can for sure say it hasn't gotten any worse, though. After some more time I'm hoping it reduces a bit, as with the Yellow Tang it cleared up after a while.

_MG_2878-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Took about a week for Doofus to take to the cleaner wrasse.

_MG_2516-Enhanced-NR.jpg

My green coral goby I've had since January of '21. Small and angry; attacks anything near him regardless of size lol. He was even going after the baby cleaner wrasse upon introduction. I have a yellow coral goby in my upstairs tank and he's so much friendlier lol, however that one plays whack-a-mole with any feeder tentacles on things like my chalice.

_MG_2913-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Growing! Initially sharknose goby-sized. I think any picture I'll have of this guy won't be representative of the current size just because of how much growth I'm seeing. Arrived on August 8th of this year ('23), so we've got some more growing to do for sure. The moment he went into the tank he immediately started cleaning every fish he could get to. Yellow tang was first and the connection was instant. So cool to watch. Aside from cleaning everybody, he picks at the glass, rockwork, etc. No issues with feeding at all, I've been so grateful that he eats. Frozen calanus and LRS Reef/Fish Frenzy have been his favorites. Also likes to eat nori, any floating pieces he'll rip apart and take chunks. I also witnessed him pick some flatworms off the glass.

_MG_3091-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_MG_3108-Enhanced-NR.jpg

The amount of personality is amazing.

_MG_2642-Enhanced-NR.jpg

There was this period of a few months where Doofy was obsessed with the Watchman's cave and just be totally cool with being attacked by the Watchman lol.

_MG_2639-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_MG_1086-Enhanced-NR.jpg

One of my favorites from when he was much smaller. Has a super cute face lol

These are all DSLR images, and my phone file format isn't compatible with here so once I get that figured out again I'll add more (I tend to take more pictures with my phone of course) Thanks for reading!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, how close i was getting one of those lovely tanks! They were all sold out in the UK so I ended up with a Cade in stead. Never looked back.

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey, looks like you're doing very well! :star-struck:

OP
OP
RuneScapeReefer

RuneScapeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, how close i was getting one of those lovely tanks! They were all sold out in the UK so I ended up with a Cade in stead. Never looked back.

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey, looks like you're doing very well! :star-struck:
Thank you! Next build down the line I may go with a Cade!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Next build down the line I may go with a Cade!
... there's always a next build :D although i don't think i can fit another tank in to my tiny UK home :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back