Waterfall noise coming from drain pipe

oriarty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today my aquarium finished filling up and I have started the return pump. The problem is that there is a loud noise coming from my plumbing like a waterfall is flowing. I have tried everything. Slowing down the return pump. Limiting the flow for the drain pipe. Nothing works. How do I fix this? The noise is disturbing the living room a LOT.

Attachments

• 70507940901__BAEFB220-F957-419A-A641-2888BD3EF8D4.MOV
    688.5 KB

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The drain pipe should go a little below the water line in the sump.

2. Close the valve on the main drain until you find the sweet spot where the noise is minimal. If the drain is fully open you get the waterfall noise.

I'm new to sumps, hope this bump gets more looks and more suggestions for you

Upvote 0

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be flowing down your emergency drain (it looks like you have one?). If this is the case, you may need to open the drain valve more.

Upvote 0

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain valve is fully opened and my weir to drainbox water level difference is pretty big. No emergency drain in use.

Going on that last statement, I would say you need more water but the return chamber is full which suggests not...
How long did you run it with the valve closed? Did you fully close it? Sometimes it takes a while to settle but a big change should be obvious fairly quickly.
With the valve fully closed you should be able to increase the water level in the overflow. If you can't then maybe the valve isn't working properly but that type should be fairly bombproof.

Upvote 0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video didn’t work for me. You should only be using a drain valve with dual/herbie or triple/bean configurations.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back