What’s crawling on my acro?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well do the chews dissolve? I have something crawling over my new torch that's in QT and I don't want to put any nasties in the DT.

I just took my dog to the vet and they were a no go on giving me any so I will probably have to order from Canada Pets if I need to.
Interceptor is an in tank treatment, if your corals are still in QT, there's no reason to treat with Interceptor. Just dip with the appropriate chemical.

As far as vets being sensitive to our needs, they need to at least have an understanding of how Interceptor can be used for in tank treatment.

Not all vets will be willing to do it. I had one say to me, after my elevator pitch, "what I hear you saying, is that your dog needs this medication to prevent heart worms..."

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor is an in tank treatment, if your corals are still in QT, there's no reason to treat with Interceptor. Just dip with the appropriate chemical.

As far as vets being sensitive to our needs, they need to at least have an understanding of how Interceptor can be used for in tank treatment.

Not all vets will be willing to do it. I had one say to me, after my elevator pitch, "what I hear you saying, is that your dog needs this medication to prevent heart worms..."
Ok, so I can just dip them again before I transfer to DT, thanks!

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen it recommend before to do water changes after but I just let it run through the system for 24 hours and put my skimmer cup back on. Then repeat once a week for 3 weeks.

You usually won’t see the pods die off until after 12 hours post dose. Might get a few stray ones but they will be moving very slow and die off eventually.
I added one pill to my tank that's roughly 22 gallons or water. After maybe an hour I saw pods and bristle worms floating around my tank.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I added one pill to my tank that's roughly 22 gallons or water. After maybe an hour I saw pods and bristle worms floating around my tank.
doing its job then! I must have immune bristle worms at this point as mine always survive treatments.

realreef7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with white bugs as well. Last night I dosed 1x large tab of regular interceptor of roughly ~ 100g of water (non prazi, last pill i had left from old red bug days), the white bugs are still there. Just ordered a 3 pack with prazi pro from canada. Hoping 2 large chews will do the job.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found white bugs as well. I notice them in many of the systems that I see. I think most guys are unaware that they have them. I'm even seeing them in popular vendor pics. They look like detritus or a remnants of mesenterial filaments, until you observe the detritus crawling on the coral. I need to dose 100mg in my system, but no way am I dosing 4 flavored chews. I assume that there's sugar in them? Does the praziquantel harm sps at 8x dosage? I'm trying to get pure milbemycin oxime but I'm blown away by the pricing. 25mg for $160 shipped from selleckchem. That won't work. I am going to the vet today with my dog for a 'wellness visit' lol. Hopefully he will get me the tablets, preferably the ones we had years ago without praziquantel.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sentinel is the go to for white bugs for sure. It has an extra ingredient called lufanuron (spelling). that acts as essentially birth control. this is how my vet explained it to me at least. I try to do at least one prophylactic treatment per year in my main and backup. May not kill all shrimp, but definitely some. and same goes for emeralds. Most have made it through. Acro crabs die within the first hour though unfortunately so you'd have to try to pull them you want to keep them.

Ultimately, pretty easy and safe treatment I have found, but sentinel would be the better choice for sure

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sentinel is the go to for white bugs for sure. It has an extra ingredient called lufanuron (spelling). that acts as essentially birth control. this is how my vet explained it to me at least. I try to do at least one prophylactic treatment per year in my main and backup. May not kill all shrimp, but definitely some. and same goes for emeralds. Most have made it through. Acro crabs die within the first hour though unfortunately so you'd have to try to pull them you want to keep them.

Ultimately, pretty easy and safe treatment I have found, but sentinel would be the better choice for sure

Thanks Adam. How many mg per gallon are you dosing for white bugs?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Adam. How many mg per gallon are you dosing for white bugs?
I have found that 4 of the largest pills is good for 1k gallons. but I am the opposite of a math dude so someone will have to do the calls for smaller volumes. figure 1 pill per 250-300 gallons

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that 4 of the largest pills is good for 1k gallons. but I am the opposite of a math dude so someone will have to do the calls for smaller volumes. figure 1 pill per 250-300 gallons

I know guys going 3x-4x that amount so it is safer to go higher if needed. My first visit to the vet for my dogs raging 'heart worm' was a failure. They wouldn't sell me the meds. They have an exotic pet vet on certain days that wants me to bring a piece of coral in for them lol. We'll see how this goes ....

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if a Kcl dip will shock white bugs off of a frag?
And if so at what dosage? :)
Thanks in advance hopefully lol

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the problem ever comes back I'll give Sentinel a try. So far the Interceptor seems to work and my only side effects were losing scarlet hermits and my tank smelling like dog food. Didn't kill all my hermits either, I see a few blue legs still crawling around.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the problem ever comes back I'll give Sentinel a try. So far the Interceptor seems to work and my only side effects were losing scarlet hermits and my tank smelling like dog food. Didn't kill all my hermits either, I see a few blue legs still crawling around.

That's what I just ordered. If it's good enough for Battle Corals, I should be ok. I'll post progress in a week or 2 after dosing it.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting
It’s basically interceptor (23mg of milbecym oxime) with lufanuron.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jackson6745 My Kcl finally came today and I think I got similar bugs lol I didn’t go as strong as you likely did I used 10g/l Kcl dip but like you said it had no effect although they did all cluster together after a 5 minute dip which I thought was odd they were spread out all over the frag before the dip.
I guess I need to try and find some dewormer with Milbemycin oxime in it.

This is hard as I’m in the uk and it seems like most worming products have different compounds, does anyone know if there are any other similarly effective compounds which will work? Ie Fenbendazole,pyrantel,febantel,Nicroscanate and so on?

Or does anyone know where I may possibly find Milbemax without a prescription in the uk?

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpeg
    IMG_4177.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 15

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jackson6745 My Kcl finally came today and I think I got similar bugs lol I didn’t go as strong as you likely did I used 10g/l Kcl dip but like you said it had no effect although they did all cluster together after a 5 minute dip which I thought was odd they were spread out all over the frag before the dip.
I guess I need to try and find some dewormer with Milbemycin oxime in it.

This is hard as I’m in the uk and it seems like most worming products have different compounds, does anyone know if there are any other similarly effective compounds which will work? Ie Fenbendazole,pyrantel,febantel,Nicroscanate and so on?

Or does anyone know where I may possibly find Milbemax without a prescription in the uk?

Whatever is in Bayer insect killer will kill the white bugs. I had to do a 20 min dip in a slightly milky solution for that to happen. It was 2ml in a 12oz bowl of water. No stress to coral.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever is in Bayer insect killer will kill the white bugs. I had to do a 20 min dip in a slightly milky solution for that to happen. It was 2ml in a 12oz bowl of water. No stress to coral.

Thanks for the info, I’m guessing it maybe this: Imidacloprid which is in a lot of flea treatments that I am able to get woohoo so I just got to work out how to dose it get some and do a dip
Cheers

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished 3 rounds of treatment (one week apart), I used the interceptor with the prazi. I no longer see the white bugs, pods are 100% gone, and I lost a few crabs I couldn't track down to pull. Everything else is fine. My conch did look a little iffy for the 24 hours after dosing, but always bounced back. I also am now dealing with an algae bloom that corresponded to treatment it seems. Perhaps, the beef flavoring, who knows.

I tried the exotic vet experience, but they wanted me to bring in the coral or do a site visit for $200 to make a "diagnosis" before being willing to provide the treatment. So decided to go the Canada route and dealt with the prazi...stuff took a few weeks to get in by mail, but it worked.

I will say, I am seeing a ton of local hobbyists with white bugs over the last 2-3 months. Its definitely going around.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back