What’s the difference????

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there really a difference between dosing KalkW bs Reef Calcium????
They both do the same thing from coral growth, aid absorption of nutrients and calcium balance.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is Reef Calcium a specific product, or are you generally referring to calcium supplements used in a reef tank? A calcium supplement is going to boost calcium only. Kalk is also going to boost alkalinity and pH in addition to calcium. It's calcium hydroxide. There are a number of good guides around to help with knowing how to dose kalk. HTH

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Reef Calcium a specific product, or are you generally referring to calcium supplements used in a reef tank? A calcium supplement is going to boost calcium only. Kalk is also going to boost alkalinity and pH in addition to calcium. It's calcium hydroxide. There are a number of good guides around to help with knowing how to dose kalk. HTH

IMG_0124.jpeg IMG_0125.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so this is not doing the same thing as kalk. This says it doesn't alter pH. My understanding (and I'm no chemist) is that this is simply to boost your calcium levels, but won't alter your alkalinity or pH. Kalk is intended to bolster both calcium and alk. Typically, the type of supplement that Reef Calcium is will be used in a 2-part dosing plan for maintaining your reef (in which you would still need something to manage the uptake of alkalinity and potentially magnesium too) while kalkwasser will be used as a system either on its own or to supplement some more complex strategy for dosing. But in any case, these are definitely not the same thing.

Perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley or one of our #chemistrygurus will come in and explain better than I can (and correct anything I may not be saying correctly)

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 64 48.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back