What Are Good Fish for a Frag Tank?

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a frag tank that was bare bottom and it loved to play under the frag rack. THE yellow coris only buried itself when it felt threatened otherwise they don't sleep in the sand but rather cuddle up in a corner or under a rock. If you feel the need you can add a Tupperware container with a bit of sand in it otherwise it's not needed. These fish aren't wild caught so half don't know what sand is or anything other than a bare bottom with blue background an ich infested petco tanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA says they need a 50gallon tank, mine will only be about 25 gallons. Will that be ok?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband won't do well in that small of tank. I agree with the yellow Doris wrasse, great fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a frag tank that was bare bottom and it loved to play under the frag rack.

^This may be the only accurate statement of the post.

THE yellow coris only buried itself when it felt threatened otherwise they don't sleep in the sand but rather cuddle up in a corner or under a rock. If you feel the need you can add a Tupperware container with a bit of sand in it otherwise it's not needed.

While they do bury when threatened, if sand is available to them and they can find it, they will ALWAYS choose to bury in the sand at night, rather than curl up along a rock.

The ocean is a scary place at night, as this is when the major predators come out to do their thing. The yellow coris wrasse, and all other Halichoeres wrasses for that matter, are instinctively hardwired to go into the sand at night. If they cannot get buried they will make do as best they can, but in no ways is that not stressful to them.

But a tupperware container will suffice.

These fish aren't wild caught so half don't know what sand is or anything other than a bare bottom with blue background an ich infested petco tanks

They are all wild caught, as of this date there have only been 2 species of wrasses bred in captivity, neither of which is commercially available, so any wrasse in a hobbyist's tank is wild caught. And instinctively they are hardwired to know about sand and utilize sand.

Had one in a biocube and it was just fine and a 34 frag tank

As a juvenile these fish are fine in these sized tanks, but full grown specimens reach 6" in length and cannot be housed in this size for the entirety of their life.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^This may be the only accurate statement of the post.

While they do bury when threatened, if sand is available to them and they can find it, they will ALWAYS choose to bury in the sand at night, rather than curl up along a rock.

The ocean is a scary place at night, as this is when the major predators come out to do their thing. The yellow coris wrasse, and all other Halichoeres wrasses for that matter, are instinctively hardwired to go into the sand at night. If they cannot get buried they will make do as best they can, but in no ways is that not stressful to them.

But a tupperware container will suffice.

They are all wild caught, as of this date there have only been 2 species of wrasses bred in captivity, neither of which is commercially available, so any wrasse in a hobbyist's tank is wild caught. And instinctively they are hardwired to know about sand and utilize sand.

As a juvenile these fish are fine in these sized tanks, but full grown specimens reach 6" in length and cannot be housed in this size for the entirety of their life.
So would you suggest to stick with the 6-line?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your purposes, yes, either that or a fourline. Both can be aggresive toward other fish, but neither need sand, and both are excellent at pest removal.

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For critter control get a 6 line wrasse. For algae control acclimate some black Sailfin mollies to saltwater. For aptaisa just manually remove.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For critter control get a 6 line wrasse. For algae control acclimate some black Sailfin mollies to saltwater. For aptaisa just manually remove.
This sounds pretty simple, I think I'll try it out. Should I have any snails or crabs?

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the 6 line, and I manually remove aptaisa/bubble algae. I'm going to order some black sail fins when I get home, and I use snails and hermit crabs as well. They do a good job cleaning the eggcrate and glass. I would definitely use snails, and it depends how you feel about hermits. Some people like them, some don't.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I think I will do a six-line, a molly or two and a few snails.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back