What are some cool decorations for my tank?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best "decorations" in saltwater are living things! Coralline algae inevitably grows over anything fake, so you can't really use the same decorations as freshwater. Corals and anemones are going to look much better than plastic anyways. They will need the tank to be build around them, so there is that. Saltwater is harder than freshwater, but it's still doable for almost everybody.

The first step to starting out in saltwater is research. The second step is more research. Next, comes more researching. It's best to start out with all of the knowledge you'll need. I did about 8 months of research before I started, and I wish I'd done more. You don't need to take that long, but you definitely should know what you're doing before you start. There are lots of great resources out there. I'll link a few here, as well as a good video explaining the basics of saltwater.

A few suggestions that I'd like to make based off of my personal experience:

1. Start your tank with live rock from the ocean. You'll see lots of people talking about how dry rock is the future, but they're usually trying to sell it to you. You won't regret going live.

2. Either learn to quarantine fish, or find a good source for fish that have already been treated. You might be fine going without quarantine, but you're also probably going to be fine driving without a speed belt.

3. Don't bother with SPS corals as a beginner. They're pretty, yes, but they aren't worth the headache and constant vigilance with parameters they require. I'm only doing soft corals and anemones in my tank, and it's much more fun.

4. Don't trust anything which claims to be able to solve all your problems. It's probably snake oil at best, and can sometimes be harmful. There was a whole fiasco a while ago with a product that claimed to kill algae. It did, but it also killed corals, and contained algaecides banned in the EU. Better safe than sorry.

5. Find things with manual controllers. Apps give me a headache, and they can be difficult to figure out.

6. Plan every change you make and everything you add weeks in advance. It'll prevent nasty surprises.

7. Don't panic over algae. Most kinds go away by themselves in a while, and those that don't can be treated.

8. Take your time. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby, and you'll get the best results by going slowly. I didn't add corals until my tank was 4 months old (and 3 months for fish), and I haven't lost a single one yet.

And most importantly...

9. Enjoy your tank! It's meant to be fun, so don't try to micromanage or make it unnecessarily difficult.

Welcome to the hobby! :)

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best "decorations" in saltwater are living things! Coralline algae inevitably grows over anything fake, so you can't really use the same decorations as freshwater. Corals and anemones are going to look much better than plastic anyways. They will need the tank to be build around them, so there is that. Saltwater is harder than freshwater, but it's still doable for almost everybody.

The first step to starting out in saltwater is research. The second step is more research. Next, comes more researching. It's best to start out with all of the knowledge you'll need. I did about 8 months of research before I started, and I wish I'd done more. You don't need to take that long, but you definitely should know what you're doing before you start. There are lots of great resources out there. I'll link a few here, as well as a good video explaining the basics of saltwater.

1. Start your tank with live rock from the ocean. You'll see lots of people talking about how dry rock is the future, but they're usually trying to sell it to you. You won't regret going live.

2. Either learn to quarantine fish, or find a good source for fish that have already been treated. You might be fine going without quarantine, but you're also probably going to be fine driving without a speed belt.

3. Don't bother with SPS corals as a beginner. They're pretty, yes, but they aren't worth the headache and constant vigilance with parameters they require. I'm only doing soft corals and anemones in my tank, and it's much more fun.

4. Don't trust anything which claims to be able to solve all your problems. It's probably snake oil at best, and can sometimes be harmful. There was a whole fiasco a while ago with a product that claimed to kill algae. It did, but it also killed corals, and contained algaecides banned in the EU. Better safe than sorry.

5. Find things with manual controllers. Apps give me a headache, and they can be difficult to figure out.

6. Plan every change you make and everything you add weeks in advance. It'll prevent nasty surprises.

7. Don't panic over algae. Most kinds go away by themselves in a while, and those that don't can be treated.

8. Take your time. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby, and you'll get the best results by going slowly. I didn't add corals until my tank was 4 months old (and 3 months for fish), and I haven't lost a single one yet.

And most importantly...

9. Enjoy your tank! It's meant to be fun, so don't try to micromanage or make it unnecessarily difficult.

This is a beast of a post. Spot on

OP
OP
cabinet pumper123

cabinet pumper123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And most importantly...

wow thats very nice, I'll definitely go live rocks. Thanks for your posts Btw

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out BRS 52 weeks of reefing or the 5 minute guides on you tube. :)

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But understand while packed with great information, it could also be called 52 weeks of infomercial. The BRS solution to every reefing woe is, "buy something". Sometimes that is right. Sometimes it is not.

Their 52 weeks and 5 minute series are pretty good, however.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any recommendations on tanks as to what i should buy?

That depends on your budget. I always suggest Waterbox and ProClear tanks for people starting out, but the price can be a little high at times. However, you will be getting the best quality. If you don't want to start out with a high-budget tank, I suggest an Aqueon or Marineland. However, if you do that, you will need to do lots of DIY. You'll need to drill the tank for a sump if you want the best results. Here's an article on how to drill the aquarium, which can be a tricky thing.

And an article about sumps and plumbing.

It is possible to do a reef tank with a HOB filter, but it'll make your life difficult and there will be lots of unwanted equipment in the tank itself. With a sump, you can have a reef tank where there is no equipment in the main tank, leading to a cleaner look.

I suggest starting with a tank between 55 - 125 gallons. Bigger is going to be better in this case. In a bigger tank, you can have more fish/corals. The water parameters will also be more stable, meaning that you won't need to be as diligent with changing water and dosing. There will be an increase in the actual amount of physical work you do (i.e. you'll be doing bigger water changes and carrying heavy things around) but it'll be easier in the long run because you won't need to worry about parameters as much.

OP
OP
cabinet pumper123

cabinet pumper123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on your budget. I always suggest Waterbox and ProClear tanks for people starting out, but the price can be a little high at times. However, you will be getting the best quality. If you don't want to start out with a high-budget tank, I suggest an Aqueon or Marineland. However, if you do that, you will need to do lots of DIY. You'll need to drill the tank for a sump if you want the best results. Here's an article on how to drill the aquarium, which can be a tricky thing.

And an article about sumps and plumbing.

It is possible to do a reef tank with a HOB filter, but it'll make your life difficult and there will be lots of unwanted equipment in the tank itself. With a sump, you can have a reef tank where there is no equipment in the main tank, leading to a cleaner look.

I suggest starting with a tank between 55 - 125 gallons. Bigger is going to be better in this case. In a bigger tank, you can have more fish/corals. The water parameters will also be more stable, meaning that you won't need to be as diligent with changing water and dosing. There will be an increase in the actual amount of physical work you do (i.e. you'll be doing bigger water changes and carrying heavy things around) but it'll be easier in the long run because you won't need to worry about parameters as much.

ill definitely look into those brands. and see a pretty good tank size. Thanks

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back