What Bacteria Dosing Product Works Well?

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new sps tank from dry rock. I feel that while yes I can cycle the rock to have bacteria to support fish it doesnt have the most diverse bacteria that benefits reef tanks. I have always felt like in the past using this dry rock only method I am missing something in my reef.

I see people dosing bacteria products for a month or so in order to grow that diversity. I cannot find these products however. I am not talking instant cycle bacteria in a bottle here just an FYI.

I have thought about ordering Live Rock from Tampa Bay like many people do however the price is just to much for me currently.

Give me some thoughts or feedback here.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock for sure. If you can't afford Tampa Bay then find a local reefer that is getting out and buy his rock. Instant reef tank! Of course you might get some of the hitchhikers, but I've never had a garden without a few weeds.

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock for sure. If you can't afford Tampa Bay then find a local reefer that is getting out and buy his rock. Instant reef tank! Of course you might get some of the hitchhikers, but I've never had a garden without a few weeds.

I really have no desire to buy rock from someones tank. I have never had a good experience doing so. If I went the live rock method I would only do the TBS rock because I think its the only live rock thats going to be any better then my dry rock will be.

Also I am not looking to get an instant reef tank or anything like that. This isnt my first rodeo and I am willing to take my time to do this right. I had seeded my tank with live rock in the past and it worked ok I just want the tank to have the best bacteria possible.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me Neither son, forty years. You asked for options and I gave one. Best possible bacteria comes from established tanks or live rock, not a bottle.

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me Neither son, forty years. You asked for options and I gave one. Best possible bacteria comes from established tanks or live rock, not a bottle.

wasnt coming at you bud. Just talking. Wasnt suggesting you are wrong or anything just am looking for other options.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Seachem Stability and later Brightwell Microbacter7 when I started my tank.

I recently ordered Prodibio Bio Digest based on recommendations of other reefers.

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Seachem Stability and later Brightwell Microbacter7 when I started my tank.

I recently ordered Prodibio Bio Digest based on recommendations of other reefers.

I was just looking at Prodibio and reading about it. Sounds quality and like people have had good success with it yeah?

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same position Cleverbs. After all, bacteria is not something visible and easily quantifiable in terms of quality or quantity by the naked eye. I'm also going through an Aiptasia issue in a nano tank through introducing a frag which sprouted more than a coral!

Do a Goole search for "reef bacteria product" as a starting point. There are many options out there in terms of bacteria, and bacteria feeding options.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you only referring to the available bottled nitrifying strains and not actuall diverse bacterial types.
I have used probidio haven't really seen what you call improvement
I also haven seen a tank cycled on it yet
It does shave a good variety of strains.
Dr tims still seem to be the most potent and varied.
Fwiw all bottled bacterias can be considered instant cycle.

You could also consider Fiji mud by Walt smith. It's mud from Fiji.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my new tank with prodibio and have been very impressed with the ease and lack of the ups and downs that I have experienced in the past with just cycling the old raw shrimp method. Now I use it regularly and am having success with lps and sps like never before.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back