What best for straightening out my red zones?

EvoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1394858938685.jpg

OP
OP
EvoReef

EvoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on buying a reactor sooner or later so I can run gfo. I have heard that running Kalk was better. True or no?

OP
OP
EvoReef

EvoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called Aquarimate. It's on android and iPhone. You white in your levels and it keeps track of stuff for you. Awsome app I recommend it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stats
What size is this tank? How old? Fish compliment?

Your specific gravity is a bit too high, so the rest of your mineral levels (Ca, alk, Mg, etc) are lower than they appear.

Once The Nutrients Are In There

Remember that nitrates should be able to be handled by your live rock. When nitrates start to build up, that means you're over the tank's bio-limit or something else is pretty wrong. If your tank looks a lot like most peoples' tank, it's almost certainly the bio-limit and everything else is fine.

Water changes are one tool to use against nutrient accumulation, but you can only do so much and they cost money like anything else. I probably spend $50 a month on salt. The up-side is that there are many benefits to water changes aside from nutrient removal, especially in a stony coral reef.

Other tools (e.g. phosphate removers, carbon dosing, etc) are more like band-aids. I think they're OK for cleanup and to get you by until the problem can be remedied, but they're still just a band-aid for a problem, not a solution. And unlike water changes, usually they are single-benefit tools, doing nothing else for the tank...or worse, even having negative side effects like carbon dosing and GFO.

Less Fish Is The Most Complete Solution
Unless you can find another permanent solution like eliminating an over-feeding problem, having less fish may be the only real solution.

Having less fish naturally lowers the amount of food going into the system. It reduces the amount of need for tank space. And reduces the demand for maintenance such as water changes and chemical filter media.

The goal would be to better fit the livestock into the environment you are providing (i.e. tank size, maintenance routine, et al.)

Hope this helps!

-Matt

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Your specific gravity is a bit too high, so the rest of your mineral levels (Ca, alk, Mg, etc) are lower than they appear.

-Matt

Opps, missed that.
Yeah it is a little high.

What kind of corals do you have?

Not a problem with fish load

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 Gallon, about a year old. 2 clowns, yellow tank, and wrasse,

Doesn't look too bad on fish (though full), so I'd focus on finding flow issues, pare down feedings to the full extent possible, probe the sand and rocks for deposits of detritus, increase your water changes, et al.

If you find detritus in your sand at all, I would slowly remove the existing sand bed vs trying to clean it. When you are done (a few weeks), replacement is optional and inexpensive.

-Matt

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back