What car/cars/bike do u drive?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my toy. 1966 Ford 427 Shelby Cobra rep.

Built it back in 2000. Original 428 FE I bought from Carroll's shop in Vegas, which was raced in 1967 because for a short time, they ran out of the 427 side oilers.
The only parts that were missing was the intake, distributor and oil pan. I Left it as they raced it, but in 2004 it broke the number 1# cylinder's rocker shaft and bent the intake pushrod 90 degrees. So, I went through the entire engine using all the great performance parts of course.

On my friends Mustang Chassis Dyno, it produced 600 HP/640 TQ, at the rear wheels.
I'm working with a racing family in California that are building all billet,.....Chevy 350 motors and after my car was in magazines and won Best Ford Muscle at the Nationals in KC, they asked if I wanted to be the first Ford 427 Side Oiler and advise them on the build, and said yes, of course. I get the Biller block for free since this motor will be in Hot Rod magazine. I've acquired most of the high horsepower engine parts needed from several racing engine part company's, because of the advertisement's they'll receive.

Long story short.

I joined the "Good Guy's" club at the Kansas City Speedway Nascar track. for a chance to run the Cobra for 3 laps. First lap was behind a mini van at 55 mph. If you looked alright, the 2nd lap was behind a Corvette at 100 mph, and again if you held your line you passed. Then you attend a 1hr class on racing, what lines to take, braking points and how to stay out of trouble !
The last test was tech check of your car. At first, the weren't going to let me because I only have one roll bar, but once they saw it is welded to the frame and not just bolted, it was enough.

I race 360 & 410 winged dirt sprint cars, so I was too cocky running a oval. lol
On the 2nd lap, I drove the car hard into the apex in corner #2 and sent me sideways, tapped the brake then back on the throttle hard, which sent me straight. When finished with my 3rd lap, my buddy pointed at me laughing and asked him if something was wrong and if I needed to stop, and he said no. When I parked it in our pit stall, he showed me that 6 of the 8 radiator air fans were bent back 90 degrees. lol No wonder they moved the fans to the back,....of the radiator. lol

Some young guy said, "dude, were you scared going 150 mph and getting sideways" ?, I said, "no",....then showed him my trembling hands ! lol.....:tongue:

My top speed was 164.3 mph. And that's with only the stock Tremic TKO 5-speed and 371 gears in the pumpkin.

Also drag raced it at there. 1/4 mile was 10.38 sec at 134 mph. The first two runs sucked because I couldn't get traction. A owner of a Pro-5 Mustang gave me his wheels (same size as mine, 5 on 4.5") with slicks. 6 other guys helped me and my friend hold me in the water box to get the slicks hot, and launched the car in 2nd gear. The front end came up a foot in the air and took off !

I also received a 6' tall trophy for "Best Ford muscle"
It was a great 4 days. :bigsmile:

Kevin

Rodfest 2007 008a3.jpg 15219seeing_eng_thru_radiator_opening.jpg Cobra at Speedway 05' 010.jpg Interior 1.jpg Royce pics 006.jpg

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back