What disease did my 6 line recover from ?

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line has always been active and one day he wasn't eating and just stayed in a back corner, swimming up and down till he disappeared into the rocks. Sometimes I wouldn't see him for days thinking he was dead.... Then he would reappear looking sickly and still not eating.

Sometimes he would swim sideways or go upside down. This has gone on close to 15 days. Never thought he would make it but now he has slowly reappeared on a consistent basis swimming around like he used to..... In and out of rocks and always visible. He is very skinny but avidly eats food. He's back to his old self.... Just is very skinny. Sure he will get his girth back.

Happy for him just wondering the possibility of what he had? Swim bladder disease? Intestinal parasite? He must of eaten something... Can a fish last 15 days without eating? If he didn't eat he sure survived and is now doing great!

Thanks for any input

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420313503.025328.jpg
there he is back swimming full tank and happy

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might have lived off of pods for some of those 15 days. Without pictures it would be tough to diagnose your fish. Congrats on his survival though. I would give it food soaked in Selma or vita-chem. I use the latter with no issues.

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Cool. Thanks. My wife and I were discussing it and she even suggested he may have snacked on pods while ill. Enough to keep him alive. I have a 120 w plenty of LR and he's the only pod predator

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "very skinny" part makes me think intestinal parasites. But you should see stringy white poop coming out of him to confirm that.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "very skinny" part makes me think intestinal parasites. But you should see stringy white poop coming out of him to confirm that.
That would be my initial guess too - but it's just a guess. And fishes won't always pass the telltale white stringy poo, which is something to be aware of.

If he continues to remain skinny you may opt to treat for internal parasites with something mild such as Hikari Prazipro.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he continues to remain skinny you may opt to treat for internal parasites with something mild such as Hikari Prazipro.

Prazi only targets gill flukes; use metronidazole for internal/intestinal parasites.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False, it's also very effective on Tapeworms.

I've never used metro on fishes for internal parasites, or even heard of doing so honestly. Source me? I'm honestly curious and am always open to learning new things, thanks!

I keep Seachem metronidazole on hand, but use it mainly for treating Hexamita.

I agree with HumbleFish on this one. My Powder Brown Tang had tapeworms or another intestinal worm. It ate great, had a huge stomach, but was very skinny. I treated with Prazipro, two doses. Did not help at all. Treated it with API General Cure (which has Prazi & Metro), and it worked right away. That does have a higher concentration of Prazi than the recommended doses that Prazipro states. So that could be part of it. Here are some pictures for reference:

In QT, after treatment with Prazipro, but before API General Cure:

Another:

In HT, after treatment with API GC:

Today (notice the lateral line is no longer showing, in fact, it is quite the plump little Tang):

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Tapeworms" are fairly uncommon in s/w fish; except for sharks/rays. IME; nematodes aka roundworms are much more likely culprits. This website contains some useful info when it comes to parasitic worms (scroll down until you see helminths/Table 4): Parasitic Diseases of Fish: Fish: Merck Veterinary ManualI forgot about Prazi's effectiveness on black ich (turbellarian flatworms).

I've never used metro on fishes for internal parasites, or even heard of doing so honestly. Source me? I'm honestly curious and am always open to learning new things, thanks!

I keep Seachem metronidazole on hand, but use it mainly for treating Hexamita.

IMO; fenbendazole/levamisole is the best treatment to use, but not necessarily "hobbyist friendly". IME; metronidazole is a suitable alternative.

Metronidazole is also effective used in combination (such as with Praziquantel) or by itself for internal parasites such as Nematodes or Trematodes.

Taken from: Metronidazole; by SeaChem, API, More
TREATMENTS for Internal Trematodes and Nematodes:

Metronidazole is a mild treatment, but it can be even more effective when combined with SeaChem ParaGuard or used as a medicated food soak

Taken from: Aquarium, Fish Parasites, Worms; Planaria, Nematodes, Detritus, Anchor

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Now that he is actually eating what I put in the tank I can treat him if i decide too. Much thanks

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does have a higher concentration of Prazi than the recommended doses that Prazipro states. So that could be part of it.
Therein lies a potential culprit. While I still use Prazipro occasionally, I actually use it for FW infested corals more frequently. For fishes I use a potent praziquantel dose. I've never used an API treatment before so am not familiar with the mixes they offer. Awesome to see your PB is doing so well!

"Tapeworms" are fairly uncommon in s/w fish; except for sharks/rays. IME; nematodes aka roundworms are much more likely culprits. This website contains some useful info when it comes to parasitic worms (scroll down until you see helminths/Table 4): Parasitic Diseases of Fish: Fish: Merck Veterinary ManualI forgot about Prazi's effectiveness on black ich (turbellarian flatworms).
I concur with nematodes/roundworms, but I've shed some pretty unpleasant tapes with praziquantel numerous times. Most recently from an A. arcuatus that wasn't eating at all... had some pretty nasty excrement for a few days :neutral:

IMO; fenbendazole/levamisole is the best treatment to use, but not necessarily "hobbyist friendly". IME; metronidazole is a suitable alternative.
Great to know! Levamisole is commonly used around these parts but you hit the nail on the head... tough to recommend that to someone with an established wrasse in a reef tank, where I would dose PP all day long.
Thanks for links, Humble! Now I have another means of treating pesky internal parasites :)

Back