OP
T

Taiko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taiko,

Here is a link to a Canadian online reef supply place. Their prices are comparable to BRS but you won't have to pay the exchange on the dollar conversion and the shipping will be cheaper.

2500G Bulk Calcium Chloride (Makes 5 gallons)

Oh nice thank you Rybren but I'll actually take the time to look for it again thanks to beaslbob's recommendation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Randy, added 1 tsp of seachem reef adv cal and from past experience it should go up to 355/360 then will retest and dose again tomorrow.

In a 370 gallon system? That's way off. It takes a lot more.

OP
OP
T

Taiko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I think I've misread some instructions and failed to read the '1 "level" teaspoon' portion of the directions ahahah, I've attached a photo of what I've been dosing as 1 tsp... too much huh?I'll also document the growth of my favourite acropora coral that I had ever since the beginning of time.. or the beginning of setup. He's been showing growth ever since I've started to do some dosing.

Attachments

• Acro1[1].jpg
    Acro1[1].jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1scoop[1].jpg
    1scoop[1].jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 133

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using this calculator, and using the most potent calcium additive (anhydrous calcium chloride),

Reef Chemistry Calculator

it takes 11.6 level teaspoons to boost calcium by 15 ppm in 370 gallons. :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice thank you Rybren but I'll actually take the time to look for it again thanks to beaslbob's recommendation.
FWIW and a follow-on, both calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are ice melters to replace rock salt for melting snow and ice from side walks, driveways and roads.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW and a follow-on, both calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are ice melters to replace rock salt for melting snow and ice from side walks, driveways and roads.

I've never been able to find reef safe calcium chloride or magnesium chloride ice melters here in Canada. We typically either get the standard rock salt or melters containing urea and/or some other chemicals. I'm not sure of the reasoning, but I suspect that it may have something to do with our winter temperatures and the effectiveness of standard melters at -30 t0 -40 degrees.

OP
OP
T

Taiko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely due to testing error. Many report jumps in such ions that are impossible in a few days.

Would it be possible for the wild swings by not keeping up with the change of salinity by evaporation? I just noticed that I haven't been keeping up with topping off manually cause I haven't added a auto top off system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the amount evaporated and the swing you are seeing.

Losing 10% of the total water volume to evaporation will cause a 10% increase in the cobncentration.

So 400 ppm becomes 440 ppm with a 10% loss, which is something like 2" in 24" deep tank (assuming no sump or anything else outside the tank).

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taiko,

I spoke too soon. Although I've never been able to find it in any Ottawa Store, Rona apparently sells a Calcium Chloride ice melt product and Canadian Tire sells an ice melt by Sifto that is labeled as being 100% Mag Chloride Hexahydrate.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taiko,

I spoke too soon. Although I've never been able to find it in any Ottawa Store, Rona apparently sells a Calcium Chloride ice melt product and Canadian Tire sells an ice melt by Sifto that is labeled as being 100% Mag Chloride Hexahydrate.
that's the hard one to find. congrates. You might contact manufacturer and ask for an assay just to be sure.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true two part, either my DIY or a commercial one such as ESV's B-ionic has three main features:

1. The liquids are exactly balanced so if you add 100 mL (or any equal volume) of each part, then when corals use the alkalinity that was added, they also use exactly the amount of calcium added. Thus you do not need to check calcium frequently at all. All of the dosing can be done off the alkalinity.

2. When corals use the calcium and alkalinity, they also use magnesium. The product will contain this appropriate amount of magnesium, and youmay never need to measure or supplement magnesium.

3. After corals use the calcium and alkalinity in the supplements, what remains is an assortment of salts that has the same composition as normal seawater, so the chemistry of the aquarium does not get messed up over time by too much addition of sodium (from sodium carbonate/bicarbonate) which is the usual alkalinity additive, and not too much chloride, which is the usual counterion in calcium supplements.

Love B-Ionic.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You usually cannot tell if it is OK from such data, only that it is not. The first one is not since it has some sort of added grit.

The second is likely anhydrous calcium chloride, but the purity is unknown.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back