What do I need to test in water?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the zoas don't look very healther but they opened up so that is a good sight.

I'd keep doing water changes to get the nitrates under control. If you can afford a skimmer I'd get one right away. Good luck and take advantage of the resources here.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the skimmer looks like. Sorry for bad sketch, lol
diy skimmer.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was tap. I used conditioner and let it sit for 48 hours because I don't have an ro filter. The anemone died within a couple days and the zoas have not opened. Is it okay if I use phosphoric acid to lower the ph if it ever creeps to high? Also is a mg test really important? I thought you just needed ca.

What conditioner?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing died from low magnesium in a few days.

The nitrate reading may be inaccurate if you have nitrite as it can make nitrate read way too high. Neither nitrite nor nitrate killed the fish.

Try measuring ammonia.

Do not add phosphoric acid for any reason except to boost phosphate in unusual circumstances.

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever add phosphoric acid? If so you might have a phosphate problem, as phosphoric acid is practically pure phosphate. If you add even a couple of drops your phosphates will shoot up, and phosphate will become bound to the rocks and sand (I recently needed to dose phosphate, I used phosphoric acid, I hugely overshot because of lazy calculating and measuring, and I had a hair algae outbreak as a result, I needed to use granular ferric oxide for 3 weeks to get phosphate back under control and leached from the rock, that was from a couple of drops in 55 gallons).

If you have ever added any phosphoric acid at all, you will probably need to deal with a phosphate problem. Having a good phosphate test is almost essential anyway. Before deciding which to get I think its worth asking here, as you need one that can reliably measure to 0.03 ppm really (thats very low).

Re the homemade skimmer, I have quite a bit of experience with diy skimmers, and using limewood stones, and I don't think it will be very effective. Limewood works OK for a couple of weeks if you have a powerful airpump, but the stone rapidly gets clogged and the air flow goes right down IME. If you want to DIY a skimmer, I recommend getting a proper skimmer pump at least, as a spare for a quality skimmer. But if you are new to skimmers, its not easy to make one thats highly effective. If you want to do it still, copy a design thats proven. Their operation is much more complex than it appears, and I recommend just picking up a second hand decent pin wheel / needle wheel one. BTW whats complex is not immediately apparent to the eye, but things like backpressure on the venturi intake (from external water level), and flow / resistance of the passage of water through them which affects the height of the water in the actual skimmer (which affects whether it will skim, flood, or not skim at all), surging (when the pump intakes a lot of air, flow reduces, skimmer water level changes, and that keeps happening in a cycle) etc. Its really hard to make a good one from scratch IME, unless its got a very large 'barrel' which tends to damp out the cyclic variations. Airstone skimmers are simpler and easier, but as the airstone clogs skimmer performance goes down frequently, and is never as good as a pump skimmer in the first place IMO.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back