what do you feedem?

fragels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is everyone in here feeding there SPS's and how many time a week/day do you do it?

right now i am feeding my'n kent marine chromaplex.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, fish poop I guess. Every once in a while I'll include DT's Oyster Eggs into my food mix. I think that even Cyclopeeze are too large for SPS to eat.

I don't really believe that any bottled phytoplankton is alive, and I don't want to add dead algae to my tank.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't too many choices for food. Personally I feed coral frenzy, as I have heard cyclopeeze is to large for SPS. I know there are foods out there that are better then coral frenzy, I just can't think of them right now. I am sure someone will post sooner or later some good info on feeding them

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a mix of Reef Chilli & Coral Frenzy weekly. Rods food, for me, is fed mainly for fish but I guess some ingrediants get to the SPS.

LeviTillie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding my zoa's Zooplanktos-M from Brightwell Aquatics daily. So far they are looking really good.

Attachments

• Fire&Ice 08272007640x480.JPG
    Fire&Ice 08272007640x480.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 150

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a turkey baster and stir up all the poop on the bottom right before lights out. I also add a few squirts of arctic pods.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something i always think about lately. I have added more fish just recently in hopes that fish dung feeds them. It seems to be a pretty accepted practice but when i stir up detrius in my tank i DONT see the polyps retracting like they have cought food.

I got some rods food 2 days ago, i almost think i see some polyps retract on some peices when i use it but i have not had the time to sit and gaze with pumps off and say for sure.

I have read a bit about rotifiers and it seems that they can be consumed by sps? please correct me if im wrong.
I dont know where to get them and they only last a few days or so from what i understand, im still fairly confused on them. Does anyone have any knowledge on rotifiers they would like to share?

Rods has some rotifiers in it, im not sure if its the same as adding live rotifiers to the tank or not.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rotifiers are a good food source and small enough for SPS and other feeder to eat. The problem with rotifiers is it will get skimmed out of the tank fast and is expensive to get unless you grow your own which can be difficult. Reef nutrition has some that is in a bottle and is dead but most of the nutrition is still there according to their nutritional break down on the side of the bottle. Omega-one and Hikari both have frozen rotifers I have though about trying not just for the limited SPS I have but other corals as well.....I think rotifiers live or roto-feast I think it's called are good choices......

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't believe in feeding SPS. I have seen and kept many SPS tanks and none of them feed. If you keep your water quality incheck, have good water flow, and a good lighting setup. You should have excellent growth and colors. Feeding is just not necessary. I think this is where a lot of people run into problems. They start feeding all this stuff and can't properly remove what remains in the system. Then they start have troy me with their colors and growth when the phosphates start to rise. I guess its possible if you can effectively remove it, but I think it is really not needed.

Back