What equipment do I need to get started?

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

So I bought my tank/stand/sump and it will arrive tomorrow! Yay!

I will be receiving the Waterbox INFINIA 230.6 aquarium system. It comes with the tank, stand, and sump.

I have a general idea of what I will need. But I would love some additional guidance.

So far this is my list:

- Reef Saver dry live rock (185lbs + foundation rock)
- 100lbs CaribSea special grade sand
- Water change supplies (pro-clean system + Ultra Zero utility pump)

As far as other things I know I’ll need initially:

- RO/DI system (5-stage)
- Heater (not sure what wattage, but I know I’ll need a redundancy heater)
- Salt (not sure what kind/brand)
- Return pump (not sure what gph)
- Power heads (not sure what gph)
- ATO (not sure what brand)
- Biological starter/ammonia dosing (not sure what brand, leaning towards Dr. Tim’s)

My main question is guidance on what to get for the above. Also, what am I missing? Should I get the filtration equipment now, like a protein skimmer? I think I need filter socks initially as well. I also know that I should wait to turn on lights so I’m just going to wait to buy lights until the cycle is complete and I know what types of corals I want.

Any guidance is much appreciated!!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's one and only in my tank to cycle it. You can also do a live rock/ live sand cycle as well. Definitely would get a RODI to make sure you have the cleanest water possible going into your tank. For salt? You'll get a lot of opinions on which is the best red sea blue bucket, tropic marine pro, instant ocean, those are some good options. ATO I use Tunze brand for an ato, very reliable, and works extremely well. Other's can chime in on the other stuff since I don't have large tank experience haha. Best of luck with your new adventure though!

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is what animals do you plan to put in? You should build your system around their needs. Lps vs sps totally differnt needs. Jawfish, wrasses, mandrens, engineering goby. Some animals require specialized setups some just need saltwater and a place to sleep. Put some thought into it. We really can't give you good advice without knowing what your plan is. Any of us can give you a complete list of that gear, but it may not be what you really need. Everyone on here is willing to help you. We will give you what has worked for us on our systems. It may not be right for your tank. Think about what you want and then give us your plan. Then we can give you the correct gear for what your planning. Do you want the cheapest route , or best money is no object.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back