OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, NO FAIR!!!! ;) That is MUCH SHARPER, but that is what your lens is designed for! So.... That makes the comparison even more valid, tubes+diopter DO NOT equal a Macro lens, PERIOD.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:horse:

I thought it would make a good comparison of the difference. I'm not even going think about getting into a photo battle with you. That would just be a straight up whoopin!

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Canon 1D with the macro tubes, the 500D and a good tripod, the only question I have is... that tripod head... what kind, how much and where from!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best choice is a ball head with a quick-release camera mount. In addition to the ball, I like models that have a second lever so you can rotate the head. The head also needs to be able to handle the heaviest camera/lens combination. I use Manfrotto heads, but there are several other options. In looking for the link to the heads I use, I learned they've been discontinued. :(

There must be a good professional photographer store (Calumet?) in the Cleveland area. Go there and test the heads they have on display to get one with controls you like. Don't spend less than $100.
Gary

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a used Nikon D70s body, a new Tamron AF28-200 F/3.8-5.6 lens and I have ordered a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 60mm F/2.8 lens.

I have a tri-pod and look forward to trying all of the different setting options to get the best PIC's that I can.

I am also going to build a camera box to get closer to the corals from the surface rather than through the glass.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a difference is there in the extension tubes that thread together and the ones that all have the actual camera mount on each one?

It does appear that the ones that thread together are plastic. Not sure how that woulf effect the quality either.

TANKSALOT

The Dro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but have you guys tried using a reverse lense mount? I purchased one for a couple bucks off ebay and it allows you to put your lens on backwards. You can then capture really great macro shots but the depth of field is affected and a zoom lens will end up working as a prime lens does where you have to move the whole camera back and forward in order to make sure you get the right zoom and focus on your subject.

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D80 and looking to get extension tubes and new lenses. My tank is 1000 gallons and 4 feet deep. What would be the best lens to capture shots through the glass at that distance?

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that long of a distance, you don't want tubes. I would go with a longer focal length, like the 180mm Macro.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, I always wanted to take awesome pictures like these guys. I think it is fantastic, and I will try it someday. These threads are a great way to stay close to the action.
Nitro

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back