What glass Thickness for low iron?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Every few months the QT debate comes up so I figured I can resurrect this debate to see fresh ideas! ;)

I am in the process of planning aquarium. I’m looking at between 300-400 gallons fish only from custom aquariums in Neenah wi. I got a 4x3 150 from them last year and it is amazing and I’m local so sticking with them.

My question is ultra clear glass (low iron). There is conflicting information everywhere on the internet from all of the 2000s.

It’s weaker, it’s stronger, low iron is not noticeable, extremely noticeable, would never do tank without , would never use again, scratches easier….. ad infinitum

From my reading, it must depend on glass thickness. 1/4 is not gonna matter but 1” glass you could very easily tell.

So my question, I am really looking at a 30” tall tank, but that would require 5/8”. Is 5/8” in the realm of needing low iron? Otherwise I am going with 24” tall and regular 1/2”.

No acrylic discussion, not an option:) thanks!

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask Custom Aquariums... I just got a rimless 180gallon 6X2X2, and they used 5/8" glass. It bows maybe 1/8 across the front, and I did order low iron tempered glass for all viewing panels.

I also have a 120G rimless for sale that has starphire glass (non-tempered) on the front pane. I'd get low iron (tempered if possible) on anything 1/2" or greater.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think thickness matters? Dont think its weaker becuase its low iron from my understanding anyway.

As for visability, ive heard from a guy on youtube who was reviewing it say that in a penisula tank the only difference is you can see through both panes.

Personally i had a hard time in the shop telling the difference from low iron to normal. Or maybe my eyesight sucks(i dont wear glasses).

Im more of a budhet person so id rather not get low iron and grab a bigger tank. But if i had the money to burn then heck why not? Even though i cant tell the difference, its still bragging rights?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Custom tank and feel that the quality is outstanding. I found them very knowledgeable, so would probably go with whatever they recommend. There is very good bracing so that is not an issue.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, the thickness is based on the height and length of front and back panels and not the final tank size.

I got a 270 that's drilled in the back and the glass is 3/4" thick, full eurobrace.

You're looking at 30" tall, I'd recommend you go with 3/4 (19mm) glass. That's going to be one heavy tank!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages.com has pictures of low iron vs not and there is also a video on YouTube from a tour there showing the differences
The comparisons always seem to be done by looking through the glass edge. Not sure I have ever tried to view my tank that way LOL. Look through the glass pane the 'traditional' way and there IS a difference, but it is minor and not immediately apparent on a filled tank. Not worth the expense in my opinion.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The comparisons always seem to be done by looking through the glass edge. Not sure I have ever tried to view my tank that way LOL. Look through the glass pane the 'traditional' way and there IS a difference, but it is minor and not immediately apparent on a filled tank. Not worth the expense in my opinion.

Exactly this. Everything I find is looking through the glass wrong haha.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Custom tank and feel that the quality is outstanding. I found them very knowledgeable, so would probably go with whatever they recommend. There is very good bracing so that is not an issue.

I would do this but they will definetly say go low iron so they make more money.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 180G rimless, adding the low iron (tempered) option was like $600. On a $3,000 tank, and a total $5,000+ investment, 102% more to see more clearly was a no brainer. Also shipping was free above a certain value, so the actual incremental was more like $300. For glass less than .5" I could see not paying, but you look through the glass for the lifetime of the tank, and the tempered is more scratch resistant.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Every few months the QT debate comes up so I figured I can resurrect this debate to see fresh ideas! ;)

I am in the process of planning aquarium. I’m looking at between 300-400 gallons fish only from custom aquariums in Neenah wi. I got a 4x3 150 from them last year and it is amazing and I’m local so sticking with them.

My question is ultra clear glass (low iron). There is conflicting information everywhere on the internet from all of the 2000s.

It’s weaker, it’s stronger, low iron is not noticeable, extremely noticeable, would never do tank without , would never use again, scratches easier….. ad infinitum

From my reading, it must depend on glass thickness. 1/4 is not gonna matter but 1” glass you could very easily tell.

So my question, I am really looking at a 30” tall tank, but that would require 5/8”. Is 5/8” in the realm of needing low iron? Otherwise I am going with 24” tall and regular 1/2”.

No acrylic discussion, not an option:) thanks!
Great question @piranhaman00 ... Looks like you are working with Custom Aquariums. Please share their opinion when you get a chance

Here is some feedback on the topic. Love this one!

From your post...............
"It’s weaker, it’s stronger, low iron is not noticeable, extremely noticeable, would never do tank without , would never use again, scratches easier….. ad infinitum".....................

This is a fun topic to do some research on. Agreed, information is all over the place. So, I have done a ton of research on this topic as well as talked with glass manufactures around the world. FYI, we also own a glass distribution organization too. By no means do I consider myself to be an expert on this topic, I will just share my findings.

On the world wide web, I was only able to find information on this top in forums. Found no companies addressing this topic. now that is interesting. Tons of unsubstantiated forum posts shaping opinions.

Here is what I found from talking with some glass float line facilities. The only difference between low-iron and regular float is that as they attempt to remove as much as they can of the iron during the glass floating process. Was shared the the glass has the same strength. Both will scratch the same. Just what was shared when inquiring.

here is one finding i notices when looking at low-iron glass and regular float glass, scratches are much more noticeable in low-iron than in the float glass. Could that possibly be because of the green in masking the scratches in float glass a little. possibly.

Such an interesting topic for sure. I do believe hardness is the same. all of the specs for glass applications do not change between low-iron and regular float. So this could come down to preference. What do you like and what do you feel about the options? Please see the pictures below and I hope this was helpful.

Below is a picture of 3/8" ultra clear low-iron (left) next to regular float (right) glass.... thinner than 1/2" that you are considering.
IMG_4409.JPG

The next 2 pictures are 3/4" thick glass. The difference is much more visible with thicker glass.
IMG_1364 (1).jpg
IMG_1367 (1).jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The next 2 pictures are 3/4" thick glass. The difference is much more visible with thicker glass.
IMG_1364 (1).jpg
IMG_1367 (1).jpg
The thicker the glass the more pronounced the difference. I'd say with smaller tanks that use thinner glass probably makes no difference. 1/2 and thicker, oh yeah, big difference.

My tank has 15 & 19 mm glass (Pilkington Optiwhite) and the difference is very clear - pun intended.

Same for the custom shower enclosure I recently put in our bathroom with low iron glass, there is no tint that changes the look of the tiles when looked through the enclosure and above. Would never go any other way.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is certainly a differeance, but ultimatly comes down to what it's worth to you. Even a few years into the hobby I'd never had considered a low iron tank due to cost. Just seemed silly to me when I could spend the same and get a much bigger tank instead. But now that I've been in it for a long time, I don't think I'd buy another normal glass tank. Every time I go to my LFSs and see the low iron tanks I realize what a differance they can make and wish my display had it, but with all of my coral grown into quite large colonies, swaping out tanks sounds like a nightmare to me, and I've run out of space for more tanks. If my tank ever springs a leak I'll be upgrading for sure though. Once I do you'll never see sand in my tank, or anyone but me cleaning the glass though. haha

Like many hobbies, the longer you're in it, the more you are willing to spend extra $ to have the nice stuff.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 110 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 122 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back