What is going on?

skinnywater66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what I though was red cyno covering the sand and some rocks that I have had for awhile. After doing a couple small water changes (10%) two days apart I woke up this morning and the red mat on the sand changed to a green color and my skimmer is going crazy. When my lights came on the water has a pink tint to it and there are so many pieces of this green stuff that used to be red the day before floating around. Here is a pic of what is on the sand bed that was red and turned green overnight.

unnamed.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what I though was red cyno covering the sand and some rocks that I have had for awhile. After doing a couple small water changes (10%) two days apart I woke up this morning and the red mat on the sand changed to a green color and my skimmer is going crazy. When my lights came on the water has a pink tint to it and there are so many pieces of this green stuff that used to be red the day before floating around. Here is a pic of what is on the sand bed that was red and turned green overnight.

unnamed.jpg
@taricha?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

unnamed.jpg
Did you add anything to the tank to combat the algae?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty clear that what happened is that a bunch of cyano died. It loses its pink phycoerythrin pigment into the water and the left behind tissues stay green (chlorophyll not water-soluble)
The mystery is how you got a bunch of cyano to mass die-off. I have no good guesses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back