What is the best LPS VOTE #13!

What is your preference VOTE #13

• Lobophyllia rowleyensis (formerly australomussa)

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Moseleya

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the drill.

Here are our previous winners!

Scolymia
--------------------Scolymia
Cynarina

Frogspawn (branching or wall)
-----------------------------------------------torches
Torches

Favia
------------------favia
Platygyra

Trachyphyllia
------------------------Acanthophyllia
Acanthophyllia

Blastomoussa
-------------------------Duncan
Duncan

Lobophyllia
-----------------------Lobophyllia
Symphyllia

Favities
------------------Favities
Leptastrea

Alveopora
-------------------goniopora
Goniopora

Chalice
----------------chalice
Pectinia

Hammer (branching or wall)
--------------------‐---------------------hammer
Octospawn

Acan lord
-----------------------------acan lord
Acan bowerbanki

Galaxea
-----------------Frammer
Frammer

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case, I need to clarify that lobophyllia rowleyensis are NOT the same as the classic lobophyllia, they are much different

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: Lobophyllia rowleyensis is most closely related to L. vitiensis (formerly Scolymia).
WHY IS EVERY CORAL GETTING RE-CLASSIFIED TO LOBOPHYLLIA! I REFUSE to call scolys lobophyllia vitiensis. I draw the line at australomussa lol

Though I did this vote after the moseleya-L. rowleyensis mixup, thanks for the help with that one! (unfortunately the L. Rowleyensis died at the LFS before I could move it to my tank)

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHY IS EVERY CORAL GETTING RE-CLASSIFIED TO LOBOPHYLLIA! I REFUSE to call scolys lobophyllia vitiensis. I draw the line at australomussa lol

Though I did this vote after the moseleya-L. rowleyensis mixup, thanks for the help with that one! (unfortunately the L. Rowleyensis died at the LFS before I could move it to my tank)
Relax, most of the Scolymia in the hobby are Homophyllia australis (which are closely related to bowerbankis), not Lobophyllia. Lobophyllia vitiensis is the rarer ex-Scolymia species in the hobby. They are characterized by having a flat corallum, velvety flesh texture, and radiating septal ridges.
Credit: Damien Brouste
1696195046638.png

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax, most of the Scolymia in the hobby are Homophyllia australis (which are closely related to bowerbankis), not Lobophyllia. Lobophyllia vitiensis is the rarer ex-Scolymia species in the hobby. They are characterized by having a flat corallum, velvety flesh texture, and radiating septal ridges.
Credit: Damien Brouste
1696195046638.png
I've actually never seen that variant, or should I say ex-variant. Are those crocodile island "scolys"? I can see how they are lobophylliids. Also, being the R2R coral expert, what is the new designation of symphyllia (not australophyllia wilsoni) that look like this?
Screenshot_20231001_172426_Samsung Internet.jpg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually never seen that variant, or should I say ex-variant. Are those crocodile island "scolys"?
No, L. vitiensis are not the croc island/mini/button Scolymia; those are Micromussa pacifica, a recently described species. Fun fact: this species is not just found in Western Australia, but have a wide distribution ranging from the Eastern Indian Ocean to the South Pacific.
Specimen from Fiji:
Credit: Debra Baker
1696199215787.png

I can see how they are lobophylliids.
Are you using the term "lobophylliid" to refer to the genus Lobophyllia or the family Lobophylliidae? The correct use of the term is for the family; Acanthastrea, Micromussa, and Echinophyllia are also lobophylliids.

Also, being the R2R coral expert, what is the new designation of symphyllia (not australophyllia wilsoni) that look like this?
Screenshot_20231001_172426_Samsung Internet.jpg
I don't think those were ever classified as Symphyllia by taxonomists; they were always Lobophyllia. Most regular Lobophyllia species can vary between being phaceloid and flabello-meandroid depending on different factors; however, the "flabello-meandroidness" of a colony can be accentuated by collectors cutting off only one polystomatous corallite. Here is a Lobophyllia colony showing a range of corallite lengths:
Credit: David R
1696198725156.png

The only entirely flabello-meandroid species I know of are L. flabelliformis and L. hataii. I'm not exactly sure how to identify L. hataii, but L. flabelliformis are covered in pseudo-tentacle-like papillae:
Credit: New Heaven Reef Conservation Program
1696199014558.png

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, L. vitiensis are not the croc island/mini/button Scolymia; those are Micromussa pacifica, a recently described species. Fun fact: this species is not just found in Western Australia, but have a wide distribution ranging from the Eastern Indian Ocean to the South Pacific.
Specimen from Fiji:
Credit: Debra Baker
1696199215787.png

Are you using the term "lobophylliid" to refer to the genus Lobophyllia or the family Lobophylliidae? The correct use of the term is for the family; Acanthastrea, Micromussa, and Echinophyllia are also lobophylliids.

I don't think those were ever classified as Symphyllia by taxonomists; they were always Lobophyllia. Most regular Lobophyllia species can vary between being phaceloid and flabello-meandroid depending on different factors; however, the "flabello-meandroidness" of a colony can be accentuated by collectors cutting off only one polystomatous corallite. Here is a Lobophyllia colony showing a range of corallite lengths:
Credit: David R
1696198725156.png

The only entirely flabello-meandroid species I know of are L. flabelliformis and L. hataii. I'm not exactly sure how to identify L. hataii, but L. flabelliformis are covered in pseudo-tentacle-like papillae:
Credit: New Heaven Reef Conservation Program
1696199014558.png
My bad, lobophylliids as in the genus lobophyllia, what would be the correct word to describe only that genus? Would make sense if the "symphyllia" would only be one head of a larger colony, though any reason why it wouldn't split like most lobos do usually very quickly. There is a lobo at my LFS that is one large polyp (like the one I referenced) that hasn't split in over 2 years.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, lobophylliids as in the genus lobophyllia, what would be the correct word to describe only that genus?
The correct word would just be "Lobophyllia." Usually for genera and other taxa without standardized endings, there would be no special word for them.

Would make sense if the "symphyllia" would only be one head of a larger colony, though any reason why it wouldn't split like most lobos do usually very quickly. There is a lobo at my LFS that is one large polyp (like the one I referenced) that hasn't split in over 2 years.
I'm honestly not sure why Lobophyllia sometimes grow without splitting, but I'm guessing it's probably due to environmental factors (water conditions, food, light/flow, etc). What color is the Lobophyllia at your LFS? If it's some shade of brown, the lobo could be L. hataii, which forms large, colonies with only a single, flabello-meandroid polyp.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The correct word would just be "Lobophyllia." Usually for genera and other taxa without standardized endings, there would be no special word for them.

I'm honestly not sure why Lobophyllia sometimes grow without splitting, but I'm guessing it's probably due to environmental factors (water conditions, food, light/flow, etc). What color is the Lobophyllia at your LFS? If it's some shade of brown, the lobo could be L. hataii, which forms large, colonies with only a single, flabello-meandroid polyp.
It's around 4 1/2 inches long, though it dosent curve, it's oblong/rectangular. It has a brownish/black/purple rim with a cyan center. Most hobbyists usually stick with the older/outdated names (me included lol except for corals I didn't know existed until after the name change, take Wilsoni or L. Rowleyensis) so at my LFS it's just labeled as Symphyllia

Back