What is the best way to determine a healthy bio-load?

How many fish should be in a 150 gal mixed reef tank?

• Less than 5

• More than 8

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While stocking my 150 gallon mixed reef, I was overzealous about getting fish and have stocked it with a bunch of fish to include (way more than I probably should have while planning for a bigger tank in the future):
2 Green Chromis (1.5" each)
1 Naso Tang (3.5")
1 Vlamingi Tang (6.5")....Thank you to reefaland310!!
1 Yellow Angel (3")
1 Tomini Tang (2.5")
1 Marbled Wrasse (4")
1 Coral Beauty (3")
1 Six Line Wrasse (2")
1 Purple Tang (3.5")
1 Convict Tang (3") ...... who is a mean son-of-a-gun ;Rage
4 Female Lyretail Anthias (2" each)
1 Male Lyretail Anthias (2.5")
1 Cleaner Wrasse (1/5")
1 Green Mandarin Goby (2.5")
and Assorted snails, 3 Sea Stars

The tank looks really alive with the corals, Hammers swaying, and a bunch of Green Star Polyps making it look line I need to cut the grass. After getting all excited each time I found a new friend to add to the reef, I realized that I may have bit off more than my tank can handle. I have a 20 gallon refugium with Chaeto thriving and a Skimz SM201 skimmer pulling out nastiness, and a BRS GFO canister. I feel I could be doing more for the bio-load, but I'm not really sure how to determine if the load is too much, too small, or OK where it is. I am auto dosing Alk, Ca, and Mag evenly throughout the day to maintain a stable environment.

I could really use some assistance in determining the best way to determine it, whether it be testing Phosphate or something else. I understand the demands rely heavily on the filtration abilities, but I want to make sure I am not stretching it to the limits risking a crash.

Thank you in advance!
Dan

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are all those tangs getting a long? That's a lot in a 150. Have you seen any aggression? If so, I'd say start culling the aggressors.

If not, which are your favorite fish? Which do you not care about really (or they don't add to your tank) that you could possibly trade?

You can always think about upgrading your skimmer as well, buy a chaeto/algae reactor (some pax ones are in the sales forums), or look at other methods. Do you have marinepure blocks? Those are good for helping with bacterial filtration as well.
While stocking my 150 gallon mixed reef, I was overzealous about getting fish and have stocked it with a bunch of fish to include (way more than I probably should have while planning for a bigger tank in the future):
2 Green Chromis (1.5" each)
1 Naso Tang (3.5")
1 Vlamingi Tang (6.5")....Thank you to reefaland310!!
1 Yellow Angel (3")
1 Tomini Tang (2.5")
1 Marbled Wrasse (4")
1 Coral Beauty (3")
1 Six Line Wrasse (2")
1 Purple Tang (3.5")
1 Convict Tang (3") ...... who is a mean son-of-a-gun ;Rage
4 Female Lyretail Anthias (2" each)
1 Male Lyretail Anthias (2.5")
1 Cleaner Wrasse (1/5")
1 Green Mandarin Goby (2.5")
and Assorted snails, 3 Sea Stars

The tank looks really alive with the corals, Hammers swaying, and a bunch of Green Star Polyps making it look line I need to cut the grass. After getting all excited each time I found a new friend to add to the reef, I realized that I may have bit off more than my tank can handle. I have a 20 gallon refugium with Chaeto thriving and a Skimz SM201 skimmer pulling out nastiness, and a BRS GFO canister. I feel I could be doing more for the bio-load, but I'm not really sure how to determine if the load is too much, too small, or OK where it is. I am auto dosing Alk, Ca, and Mag evenly throughout the day to maintain a stable environment.

I could really use some assistance in determining the best way to determine it, whether it be testing Phosphate or something else. I understand the demands rely heavily on the filtration abilities, but I want to make sure I am not stretching it to the limits risking a crash.

Thank you in advance!
Dan

OP
OP
Dan Cyr

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get along good except for the Convict Tang (he must have been in for a violent crime...ha). If any were to go, it would be him. I have the largest skimmer I could fit under my stand and according to the guidelines it should be OK, but I like the idea of the reactor. I also don't have the Marinepure blocks but will look into it.

Thanks for the response!!

Ryan Cline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m pretty new to this I have a 45 gal system sump in all 40 gallon display. Tank has gone and finished nitrogen cycle I added two clowns a black storm and a black oscilarious . Black died from stress replaced with phantom oscilarious they seem to be doing good rank parameters are stable. Zero for ammonia and nitrite and 5 ppm on nitrate I plan on doing a 5 gallon water change tomorrow and adding two fire fish this would be day 6 with the fish in would it be safe to add these two fire fish?

Ryan Cline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m pretty new to this I have a 45 gal system sump in all 40 gallon display. Tank has gone and finished nitrogen cycle I added two clowns a black storm and a black oscilarious . Black died from stress replaced with phantom oscilarious they seem to be doing good rank parameters are stable. Zero for ammonia and nitrite and 5 ppm on nitrate I plan on doing a 5 gallon water change tomorrow and adding two fire fish this would be day 6 with the fish in would it be safe to add these two fire fish?

BB326775-37BB-4819-8DE3-0B4E9C786C86.jpeg

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back