What is the Easiest Way to Transfer Ponies to Bigger Tank?

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seeing how we started with 4 pairs and we had 29 babies our first week from 2 different males, this aquarium is definitely not going to work. I am afraid we will keep having babies. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I think it is just the coolest thing, but even my 9 year old said we need a bigger tank. So what is the easiest way to transfer them to a new home without freaking them out or losing any???

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A net...
Just scoop them into a specimen container with tank water and then drip acclimate them into whatever new CYCLED tank you are going to keep them in, Or see if a LFS will do any trades with you

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda what I was thinking of doing. I was going to put them into a plastic container and let them float around for a while. What size do you suggest? We have about 36 right now with more to come I am sure.

A net...
Just scoop them into a specimen container with tank water and then drip acclimate them into whatever new CYCLED tank you are going to keep them in, Or see if a LFS will do any trades with you

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use those things they sell at the pet store called "critter keepers" Whatever the largest one that you can use would be ideal, If you plan on keeping them then you had better get another tank cycled so that you have someplace to put them, Otherwise talk to a few LFS's and see if they will give you any credit for the babies towards things you need/want like another larger tank or food or things like that

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure what we have now is bigger than a critter keeper. So you think a 2 gallon is ok? That's what we have now,. I guess I can check with the pet stores around here, but I've never seen dwarf seahorses at any of them. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen any seahorses at any of them.

Just use those things they sell at the pet store called "critter keepers" Whatever the largest one that you can use would be ideal, If you plan on keeping them then you had better get another tank cycled so that you have someplace to put them, Otherwise talk to a few LFS's and see if they will give you any credit for the babies towards things you need/want like another larger tank or food or things like that

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 69 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 87 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back