What is the secret to keeping button and regular scolys alive?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got this beautiful button scoly that looked great for a few days and then started to bleach and recede. All my other corals are doing great. I’m thinking my lighting was too high even though it was in the sand. Once it started to recede everyone in the tank started to pick at it and eat it.:( I’ve heard they are hard to keep as I learned later on. My nutrients do run high but it was my understanding that scolys are an easier species of lps to keep.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert nor do i have a scoly but will in the future. It most likely is your lighting. I’ve heard you can put scolys in well shaded areas and they’ll do fine. You just have to feed them once or twice a week but I’m sure you know that already

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not an expert nor do i have a scoly but will in the future. It most likely is your lighting. I’ve heard you can put scolys in well shaded areas and they’ll do fine. You just have to feed them once or twice a week but I’m sure you know that already
I’ll try this next time as opposed to in the middle of the tank under no shade as this one was.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the lights down, use acclimating mode if your lights have it, increase power a few percent a week. If you can find out what par it was under before you buy it, it will take some of the guesswork out.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back