What is the simplest way to make a bubble trap for a sump

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can certainly figure this out on my own, but I am notorious for over engineering and over complicating things. So what is the simplest way to make a bubble trap in a custom sump?

More details:
A bad idea for a seriously over complicated system that was backed up by poor and rushed execution ended with me cracking the glass on my 29 gallon sump. I started with a fiji cube 29g DIY kit and after modifications I am down to a large compartment with a bubble trap and a return chamber. I would prefer to remake this in a 40 breeder, but I'm bound to over complicate the design of the bubble trap. So is there an easy/simple way to do this, or should I just get a sheet of acrylic and copy my 29g bubble trap?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under, over, under, and have your 'over' angled 4⁰ into the flow to create a gentle 'roll' in the bottom of the wall.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do 1-1/2” under and over myself.. depends how much flow you’re gonna have.. I also space them 1” apart.
IMG_9640.jpeg

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do 1-1/2” under and over myself.. depends how much flow you’re gonna have.. I also space them 1” apart.
IMG_9640.jpeg
@StatelineReefer

Yes, I am leaning towards the aqueon 40g breeder. The dimensions are 36 3⁄16 x 18¼ x 16 15⁄16. With the current setup, I'm only going to be looking at about 375gpm, but I would like to leave room for quite a bit of growth.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@StatelineReefer

Yes, I am leaning towards the aqueon 40g breeder. The dimensions are 36 3⁄16 x 18¼ x 16 15⁄16. With the current setup, I'm only going to be looking at about 375gpm, but I would like to leave room for quite a bit of growth.
They sell baffle kits for them in all sorts of shapes and colors.. just silicone them in and done.. or make them if you’re into that like me lol..

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell baffle kits for them in all sorts of shapes and colors.. just silicone them in and done.. or make them if you’re into that like me lol..
I guess I'm like you. I enjoy setting stuff up more than anything. I have some scrap acrylic and aquarium silicone on hand, should be enough to do this.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ⅜ off the bottom for the under baffles, 5 ⅝ tall for your angled over. this assumes a 8" depth for your skimmer. If you're using a stand, or have a specific water level you want to set in that area, 3" under that water level should suffice.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ⅜ off the bottom for the under baffles, 5 ⅝ tall for your angled over. this assumes a 8" depth for your skimmer. If you're using a stand, or have a specific water level you want to set in that area, 3" under that water level should suffice.
Perfect, thank you. The skimmer recommended height is 7-9"

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's simple. Where do you get the sponge? Do you have a picture you can post?
Brs, Petco anywhere. Brs sells large sheets you can cut to size and wedge in there like a baffle. You can't really see my sponge for a picture. I put a couple strips before or wedged into or under each baffle. I was worried about it clogging. But so much stuff lives in it (worms, pods etc, that it keeps it pretty clean , hasn't clogged in 2 years. I keep thinking I should replace it, but I'm kinda seeing how it goes at the moment.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to go with the over under over baffle system that @Troylee and @StatelineReefer suggested but then I realized that the silicone I have has a 7-10 day cure time before adding water and fish. So that won't work with me needing to get this system put back together before I head out of town this weekend. So I went with @Boehmtown 's suggestion of a filter pad. I got some poly fill sheets from hobby lobby and doubled them up, cut some egg crate I had lying around and made filter sandwich with zip ties. All in was about $8 and it looks like it will work well. I think I will transition to the glass baffles at the end of this year when I have some time to play with the system. But for now this should work well.

Thank you all for the ideas and help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_020345287.jpg
    PXL_20230504_020345287.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 83

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over-under-over. I would make the downstream over 1/4” shorter.

If you go the opposite, you have areas with no surface turnover which will collect floating gunk over time.
Since it's a bubble trap, won't the gas release at the surface provide agitation sufficient to keep any surface elements dispersed?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a bubble trap, won't the gas release at the surface provide agitation sufficient to keep any surface elements dispersed?
No. Upstream, the bubbles aren’t popping, so there’s a large area for dust and oils to just sit there. Between the baffles, maybe. After the baffles, again you have a large area that’s going to have effectively a stagnant surface.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just planning out my sump for my build. This 4 degree thing is an interesting idea. Do you have any video of this?
I don't, as I don't have any of this style built in front of me right now... I need to make one in the next couple of months though, so I'll tag you when I post it in the DIY section.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 96 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back