What is this?? Looks like a paly. i have nothing like it in my tank and its particularly odd..

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be *a lot* easier than a video, just make sure to set your lights to white or shine a (bright) flashlight on it so the picture doesn't come out blue.

Having said that, it looks like aiptasia.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh, thank you so much. yea you guys seem to be right on the money, is this something i should be worried about?
its not a 911 but you should make arrangements to get rid of it before it spreads. There are several products on the market that will work great on an aiptasia at that size. Aiptasia-x or something similar or kalkwasser powder mixed into a paste, use a syringe to inject to the center of the aiptasia.

DO NOT try to scrape or pull it off.

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh, thank you so much. yea you guys seem to be right on the money, is this something i should be worried about?
Aiptasia can sting coral and can spread very quickly in your tank. There are a ton of remedies all with varying success. Natural predators seem to be the most effective at elimination and control if you tank can support them. Aiptasia eating file fish, certain species of butterfly fish, berghia nudibranchs, true peppermint shrimp are all natural methods. There are several chemical solutions, again with mixed success. For me I was fortunate enough to be able to pull the frag off the plug and the aiptasia were on the plug, not the rock. The one that was on the actual rock I doused with a pickling lime paste and it has not come back, but the zoas it was on was pretty upset for a week or two after.

OP
OP
?

?Dezzire?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not a 911 but you should make arrangements to get rid of it before it spreads. There are several products on the market that will work great on an aiptasia at that size. Aiptasia-x or something similar or kalkwasser powder mixed into a paste, use a syringe to inject to the center of the aiptasia.

DO NOT try to scrape or pull it off.
ill definitely look into that, thank you so much guys

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill definitely look into that, thank you so much guys
If it's just one aiptasia and it's in an easy to reach place and it doesn't have sensitive corals right next to it, I find the easiest and cheapest way to take care of them is boil some RO water and quickly squirt it directly on the aiptasia.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back