What is this worm?

BurtMacklin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 2 banggai cardinal, a YWG, a green mandarin goby, a blue hippo tang, and a flame angelfish from DR Reef's quarantine fish to my 200 gallon reefer xl

Unfortunately the flame angel, one cardinal, and the YWG all died within 3 days. Water parameters are normal and the other fish are all ok. The cardinal was almost dead last night, but I couldn't get him out. The CUC got him last night and only a skeleton remains. Now I have these worms in my tank. They were definitely not in here prior to the new arrivals.

Can someone ID this guy and should I be worried? Could they be the cause of these deaths? Pictures and video attached.

@vetteguy53081

PXL_20220718_010828721.jpg PXL_20220718_010827330.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_010041239.mp4
    23.4 MB

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you assuming there was an ammonia spike?
ammonia builds in the bag as the fish are I transit. That ammonia doesn't hurt them because of the lack of fresh oxygen that is also depleting in transit. Acting as a buffer. When you start adding tank water rich in oxygen through drip acclimation the ammonia burns the fishes gills. They will usually die a few days later from this.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you assuming there was an ammonia spike?
I’m not trying to assume anything. Unfortunately I made a huge error the first time I ordered fish online. The instructions said to drip acclimate so I did and didn’t realize you should never drip acclimate shipped fish even if their instructions say to do so. It was just a possibility with losing so many of them so quickly

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to assume anything. Unfortunately I made a huge error the first time I ordered fish online. The instructions said to drip acclimate so I did and didn’t realize you should never drip acclimate shipped fish even if their instructions say to do so. It was just a possibility with losing so many of them so quickly
Gotcha. Yeah I did not drip acclimate them and I had no change in parameters.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonia builds in the bag as the fish are I transit. That ammonia doesn't hurt them because of the lack of fresh oxygen that is also depleting in transit. Acting as a buffer. When you start adding tank water rich in oxygen through drip acclimation the ammonia burns the fishes gills. They will usually die a few days later from this.
Yep when the CO2 in the bag off gases the pH increases making the ammonia more toxic.

I either drip acclimate but add prime to the shipping water (ONLY if the shipping water wasn’t treated with copper). If there is possibly copper in the water I just match my qt to the shipping salinity, temp acclimate and drop the fish in. Being able to match salinity is IMO a huge advantage of qt, although buying from Dr Reef I assume you aren’t putting the fish in a qt.

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep when the CO2 in the bag off gases the pH increases making the ammonia more toxic.

I either drip acclimate but add prime to the shipping water (ONLY if the shipping water wasn’t treated with copper). If there is possibly copper in the water I just match my qt to the shipping salinity, temp acclimate and drop the fish in. Being able to match salinity is IMO a huge advantage of qt, although buying from Dr Reef I assume you aren’t putting the fish in a qt.
I do have a qt for when I'm doing my own qt, but when I buy from him they go straight in my DT. Very sad to have lost all of those beautiful fish so quickly. I've had nothing but great luck with him for the past year and he'll be replacing these ones for me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't love the look of worms in the tank, so they're probably going to get pulled as I find them anyway.
I don’t mind worms in my tank but my wrasse makes it to where I almost never actually see any of them. Before getting the wrasse when I would feed the tank bristleworms would crawl out of every tiny hole in my rockwork. It was neat and terrifying all at the same time.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind worms in my tank but my wrasse makes it to where I almost never actually see any of them. Before getting the wrasse when I would feed the tank bristleworms would crawl out of every tiny hole in my rockwork. It was neat and terrifying all at the same time.
We got an arrow crab for them but it chowed down in so many it got huge and moved on to our shrimp and fish so he got expelled! Thankfully the LFS took him back

Back