What is this?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad picture, but it is a tiny orange thing, that is moving around like a slug. I have 2 that I can see right now.

Today I got live rock from an established tank, and sand from it as well.

I have seen tiny brine shrimp-looking things, I believe copepods, asternia starfish, a snail, and lastly, and the worst, bristle worms. So far I have taken out 3 bristles, with at least 2 more in the tank.

But anyway anyone know what this is? Is it a nudibranch of some sort?

17082205685657091149347521948935.jpg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I thought it was something good, but they are pests, right? Also, there is another thing that I have no idea what it is. I will post a video below, but the video was taken with NO flow, and the antenna things are still moving. I have a few in the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29, sorry to bother but do you know what that is, and if the bristle stars are okay?
Don't worry about all these little critters. They will end up in your tank sooner or later. It is just part of biodiversity which enhances your biome. I gave hundreds of asterina and beistleworms in my tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anybody know? I also just found 2 tiny brittle stars! Didn't know 3 small pieces of live rock had so much diversity! The stars are fine, right?
I agree stars and red may be red planaria but very distant in picture. Other can be a slug. Spaghetti worm also possible. Need closer/clearer images

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree stars and red may be red planaria but very distant in picture. Other can be a slug. Spaghetti worm also possible. Need closer/clearer images
Thanks for the help, but I already removed them. They were just too small to identify, and if they were flatworms, I wanted to get them out ASAP. You might have an answer to this though.

In about a week, I want to get a cleaner shrimp, and today I picked up some live rock, and I found brittle stars as stated above. Will they eat the cleaner shrimp, because I have read that normal-sized ones have eaten them when they molted?

I believe these are micro stars, which I don't think will be a problem, but do you have any idea?

It is in the middle of the picture.

Attachments

• 20240217_211323.jpg
    20240217_211323.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 36

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the help, but I already removed them. They were just too small to identify, and if they were flatworms, I wanted to get them out ASAP. You might have an answer to this though.

In about a week, I want to get a cleaner shrimp, and today I picked up some live rock, and I found brittle stars as stated above. Will they eat the cleaner shrimp, because I have read that normal-sized ones have eaten them when they molted?

I believe these are micro stars, which I don't think will be a problem, but do you have any idea?

It is in the middle of the picture.
I dont find brittles to be a threat and in fact a benefit as they eat uneaten food and sift through detritus. Good call on removal of worms as you dont want to give them an opportunity to lay eggs

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't kill off your live rock diversity and bacteria otherwise it becomes useless for your tank.

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave most of the little critters alone if the rock and sand is from a healthy tank. It’s all apart of the biodiversity you need to create a mini ecosystem. Bristleworms aren’t horrible. I added them to my tank when I saw them in the bottom of a bag I brought live rock home in. Brittle stars, asterinas…I left them too. Planaria can take a hike.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the only things I have taken out of the tank are bristle worms, and those worm things. Both of which I will continue to do.

Everything else I will leave alone, unless I identify a harmful species.

I also have a ton of aptasia on one rock. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? When every I try to you'll it out with tweezers, it retracts back into the rock.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back